weight of heavy gun stock and components

This is what we do.
2many7s
B Poster
B Poster

weight of heavy gun stock and components

Post by 2many7s »

I have an Anschutz 54 (an old 3P gun) that I was thinking about using for a heavy gun. It shoots well and has a great trigger but it is slightly ober weight. The barreled action is 6 lb 1 oz (I think) and the stock is a little over 4 lbs. What is my probles as compared to a 54.18? Is the barrel way over weight, or the stock, or both. If it is the stock I can look for another but if it is the barreled action as I suspect it would need to be cut and I cant do that.
bkbishop
B Poster
B Poster

54 weight

Post by bkbishop »

I had the same problem when I got started in smallbore silhouettes......I was able to solve the problem (with the help of Paul Freeman) by replacing the stock with a Neil Ward Carbon Fiber stock and switching to a Weaver T36 scope. I was just barely able to make weight, but it was worth the effort. My factory bbl loved even the cheap ammo....
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

Don't know how long your present barrel is but according to the info on Champion Shooters the 54.18 has a 22.4" barrel. My Suhl started out weighing 10lbs. 4.5 ozs. After shortening the barrel to 20" and adding a Mcmillian Anschutz silhouette stock with a Leupold EFR the rifle now weighs 9lbs 2ozs. That leaves some room to add a Hoehn tuner with an additional 4ozs of weight if necessary. My barrel started out 26" in length and has a diameter of .875. I cut the barrel at the chamber end and recrowned the muzzle. I would imagine your 54 should have a very similar barrel and action dimensions. There are many accomplished gunsmiths on this forum that can help you with your rifle.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

The 54-18 barrel is thinner than the match barrel

I also converted a 1413 super match to a silo gun. The barrel had already been cut once and I used a McMillan FG stock(forget the weight), with a Leupold 6.5X20 (only weighs .3 oz more than the 24X) with BKL aluminum rings (won't find much lighter). Came in at 10# 5 oz.

Only way to lower the weight was to cut more off the barrel. I believe I'm now at 21" and 10# 3/8oz.

If you have the barrel cut, you should cut from the breech and re-chamber. Those I know that cut the muzzle lost considerable accuracy.

Ken

Ken