Prize Money

This is what we do.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Prize Money

Post by kevinpagano »

My old trapshooting days has got me thinking about money and increased shooter numbers. It seemed to me that where ever they had good prize money in trapshooting, the shoot was very successful. Here is an Idea.

Money options to play
$ 2.00 for chickens, pigs, turkeys, rams. Winner take all or split 60-40 1st and 2nd
Another $5.00 for a 40 run. Only a 40 will win the prize money with the pot growing every match. This might bring some of the better shooters to a local match and may build the match to a much larger one. This might bring a more consistent participation. Maybe a 40 is too tough to get but this seemed to work at a trap club that took out an insurance policy for 10,000.00 for a 100 straight in the handicap event in trap. I remember that it brought alot of shooters.

Does anhyone know of a club that does this.

Kevin
chunter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chunter »

Back when Jackson Hole, Wyoming had silhouette matches. Roger Sebesta used to run something, where instead of giving trophies. The winners in the different classes were awarded earnings from the pool of money that was from the entry fees.

If I remember right it was at a scaled rate, where the Match winner got the largest chunk, and then it was broken down from there all the way to the A class shooter.

This type of reward works great for shooters who are established and really don't want another plaque or trophy. On a good match I could make enough to pay for my ammo and sometimes lunch or dinner.

This reward system didn't seem to work as well for the newbies though. They seem to really appreciate a token they could hang on the wall or show off at work. A plaque, trophy, etc.

I think instead of giving trophies or money, they should give away gasoline. I would practice more for that.

ps. I have heard rumors that those Southern boys bring a beer truck to the match and make everyone a winner. Seems to me these gents might have caught on to somethin.
-- -------- ----- ------- --

Email: Silhouette.Shooting@gmail.com
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Post by duckgumbo »

Don't forget the food to absorb the FREE Budweiser!

Duckgumbo
Sgt. O'Ducky
Ftard Troop
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Kevin, there are some reasons that Smallbore Silhouette matchs do not pay big prize money. The reasons are Troy Lawton in the Southeast, Augstin Sanchez in the West, Jared Perry in the Northwest,etc. Put money or really valuable prizes on the line and this small group of the best shooters in our sport will win the major prize money every time. These folks will also do what I call event specific practice. Example of event specific practice: At the Southern Nationals in Winnsboro, LA. a few years ago, one of the local car dealerships put up a new Ford Ranger truck for the first person at that match to shoot a 40 in a row. The dealership probably thought this was impossible. I read in Shooting Sports USA that Troy Lawton began a dedicated practice schedule in the weeks leading up to the Match. Legend has it that he finished up on Rams and after hitting the 40th animal, he walked out with the target setters, picked up the last ram and told everyone that he was taking that ram home with him as a momento. I think the Lawton family still owns the truck. Duck Gumbo can correct this story if I have any part of it wrong or if it is not true. The best shooters in our sport are going to show up at every major match anyway unless work or family commitments interfere. Look at the most popular, successful matchs that we have. They have several things in common: The match is well organised and well run with all events on time. The range is well manicured with good rails and target layout. The officials adhere closely to the established rules without being overbearing and make the playing field level for everyone. The people putting on the match make you feel welcome. My family does not care about prizes, awards, food, beverages or money even though we do not refuse anything we win. We just enjoy working together to try to hit every animal that we can at a nice range for a reasonable entry fee whether the match is a large one or just a small local monthly.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

one of the other things the top two matches have in common is a laundry list of very nice and valuable prizes that are well distributed throughout all classes. Most of us would certainly go to the big matches regardless but i think there are two things that make the big matches the big matches. The caliber of shooters that consistently attend and the prizes that are available. I'd suggest that, in large reason, the shooters come because of the prizes. The big challenge, however, is making sure they are well distributed amongst all the classes. If the classes below Master don't feel they have a chance, they won't pay the $95 - $145 entry fee to attend. can't say that i'd blame them. whatever you are shooting for, be it money or prizes, everyone is going to have to have a fair chance.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Thanks for the opinions. I think that I agree about well distributed prizes or money or whatever. Class purses were popular in trapshooting as well. I can understand that hitting a 100 straight for someone in B class trapshooting is much more plausable than a AA class shooter hitting a 40. The pressure of money also can turn a friendly sport into a more serious antagonizing one. I have been curious as to why there arent much more competitors in the sport, I know that it is tough but there are small mile stones along the way that give you gratification 5 straights etc. I am going to try and become more involved with the club I am a member of. We have a few matches a year but the turn out in the past has been poor from what I understand. Just looking for ways to get people more interested in shooting the game. More people always equals more fun in my opinion.

Kevin
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I don't want to hijack the thread. Just a couple of points:
40 straight in smallbore rifle silhouette competition is EXTREMELY rare. It would be interesting to try to figure out how many times it's been done. Sanchez is the phenom with a couple or three at the Nationals (I think) and surely a few more in smaller matches. Winstead has done it at least twice and with the Hunter rifle to boot. Lawton has done it more than once but I'm not sure about three. Tim Kurreck has one. Jerry Tureau, in a small match I think. So, who else? Does Dave have a couple? I once heard that Conrad Bernhardt shot 40/40/40/38 in a big, two day match. Can that possibly be true?
Kevin, silhouette vs. Olympic three position shooting is sort of like skeet vs. trap. You would know better than I but wasn't (isn't) trap considered the older, more prestigeous, tougher sport and skeet still looked down upon as a "game?" Silhouette presents unique challenges (four different ranges, funny-shaped targets, no time to shoot) and no less a rifleman than Lones Wigger (who has been silhouette national champion but who has not, I believe, ever shot 40) says it's the most demanding rifle discipline going. But it still doesn't yet command the attention and respect of the more traditional disciplines. Events like Winnsboro are slowly changing that perception.
I don't go for the prizes.
I wasn't there but I think Troy's last target was a turkey because Mr. Gumbo saw to it that he finished on the hardest target.
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

At the matchesI run we gave away 1/2 the entry fee in prize money to the first place winners in each match- including unclassified. First time shooters shoot free, so often unclassified had no prize money.

This year we are giving back 1/4 of the entry fee in prize money to the class winners- and 1/4 in a drawing with everyone in the match included. This way you have a chance for some payout regardless of how you shot. So far it has worked out and been popular, though a bit more work to do. ( hint- cut the paper slips for the drawing at home. not at the range on a windy day).
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

David is probably busy..LOL

But yes he finished on a Turkey, Troy mentioned riding that turkey around in the front floor board of his Chevy Silverado (SP?) for the 10 years that he drove it. The story was passed along to me in a shady motel room in Jacksonville, FL by Duckgumbo and Troy. Man what a night. To hear David telling about calling the guy with the keys and telling him to get there ASAP, the guy asked "What for"...LOL David informed him of the bad news brewing at the time. The insurance company (well that one anyway) will never insure an event at Winnie again. David has tried to even go to 40/40 backed up by 40/40, the way he put it they said if the guy get's 80 shots, no! He then tried to get a truck for everyone But Troy to shoot at, no go...

What a sport, what great people we have the chance to meet!

See you on the line,

Chicken
Image Chicken George
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

2 More cents
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Ajj, Skeet shooters would probably disagree with you on the most prestigious shotgun sport. Trapshooting is tough in that you have no room for error. Once you call for the target that is it. Mechanics are basic and very repetitive. It is truly in your mind. I have ran 96 plus straight in handicap to lose 2 or 3 birds out of 4. Yes I did fold under pressure. I am not really talking about replacing trophys with money. I am talking about letting people pay extra to play the money "options". If you do not want to play the money options that would be fine. It would be a couple extra bucks per animal in your particular class just to make things. I do agree that if it is to be done it should be split up by class. THanks for your input.

Kevin
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Shooting for cash can be fun, but can also bring out the worst in some folks. You can always create some fun games for after the match and let those who want to shoot for money put their money up. Chickens at 100 meters is a lot of fun. Four man team shoots go quickly and are also a lot of fun. Tres Banditos (spelling?) is a three man team game that is a blast. What you can do with silhouette games is limited only by a person's imagination.
Commander in Chief, F Troop
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Trophy vs Prize

Post by dwl »

I've shot now in trophy matches, money matches and prize matches. Honestly, I like the trophy matches best. I guess that shows me up as a fairly new (2 years) shooter but I really like some thing for the wall in the family room and even better, a handshake from my shooting peers.

Our match director ran a money match once. It paid for my entry and lunch but who remembers what I ate. Not me. Word of warning, some cash trap shoots turn into ugly affairs. Our state range dropped the trap shooters because of the animosities.

My first Pe Ell (don't we all remember our first!) was my first merchandize match. It was fun and I was glad to see lots of everyone get something in the draw and the prizes for the winners was neat. A B class shooter got his first gun!

Still, I'll remember getting a ten on pigs, looking for Chuck during Relay 1, seeing Chicken and Teresa shooting in shorts in the cold. Listening to someone talk about his hunting sooo loud I could hear everyword through my ear plugs! I'll remember shooting and the shooters far longer than I'll care about the prizes.

Opnions are worth what they cost, mines no different.

PS. chunter, we could me at Winsboro next year. What do ya think. If our buddy comes, I promise he won't bring any chicken salad.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Prize Money

Post by Jerry G »

The best attended matches in the last 10 years that I have been to all award prizes. They all have been well run by the local club. Anyone of us that has been shooting for a few years have enough plaques to last us a life-time.

It is not cheep to travel around the country and shoot in the matches. It's not the gun or ammo but the airplane tickets, auto rental, and motels that add up quickly.

I think something cheep to show you won and then cash or prize to go along with it would serve the sport better.

Just my 2 cents worth.
chunter
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Trophy vs Prize

Post by chunter »

dwl wrote:I've shot now in trophy matches, money matches and prize matches. Honestly, I like the trophy matches best. I guess that shows me up as a fairly new (2 years) shooter but I really like some thing for the wall in the family room and even better, a handshake from my shooting peers.

Our match director ran a money match once. It paid for my entry and lunch but who remembers what I ate. Not me. Word of warning, some cash trap shoots turn into ugly affairs. Our state range dropped the trap shooters because of the animosities.

My first Pe Ell (don't we all remember our first!) was my first merchandize match. It was fun and I was glad to see lots of everyone get something in the draw and the prizes for the winners was neat. A B class shooter got his first gun!

Still, I'll remember getting a ten on pigs, looking for Chuck during Relay 1, seeing Chicken and Teresa shooting in shorts in the cold. Listening to someone talk about his hunting sooo loud I could hear everyword through my ear plugs! I'll remember shooting and the shooters far longer than I'll care about the prizes.

Opnions are worth what they cost, mines no different.

PS. chunter, we could me at Winsboro next year. What do ya think. If our buddy comes, I promise he won't bring any chicken salad.
DWL,

Its on the calendar. I think I might need to hear more about this chicken salad. Some reason, I can't think it is anything good.
By the way, have you got your new pea-shooter yet? I am standing by for pictures. I can only imagine what Marv has to do to it, to make it fit your petite frame. lol.

Casey
-- -------- ----- ------- --

Email: Silhouette.Shooting@gmail.com