Reticle not settling?

This is what we do.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Reticle not settling?

Post by gunbits »

I don't think my reticle settled very well today.
At 100m, I put 3 into a single hole, but 2" low.
I added some elevation and was 1" low.
I added some more and was 1" high.
This wasn't normal at all, so I cranked the setting down, then up, then back down to the 100m setting and put one in the money.
I want to blame the cold weather but should I blame my Sightron?
How normal is this?

shootnchef
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shootnchef »

I guess the first question is how old is your sightron I send my scopes back to the factory every 2 years to have them recalibrated and to check for problems

The other thing you can try is tapping on the scope knob after every change this is something some people do everytime and swear it works
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gunbits »

The Sightron's less than a year old. Thanks for the re-calibration tip. Sounds like good maintenance.

I've seen shooters rap on their Leupolds with a small wooden mallet but most of them were .50 shooters - guess it couldn't hurt.
dwainasaurus
Unclassified Poster

Post by dwainasaurus »

So I'm gonna make myself look stupid here. I've heard I should always make my last scope adjustment in the same direction but I don't know which it is. Should the last adjustment always be up (like from turkeys to rams)? I have a Sightron.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Dwaine... shouldn't matter. there were a few voodoo type activities used to overcome the less than reliable adjustments a particular scope provided a few years ago. tapping the turret, going past the setting and back down again, doing the chicken dance before each set of five...
i've a sightron as well and have experienced no challenges... yet. shooting it about 4 years... our cooking friend's suggestion regarding maintenance is a great idea. he also has suggested a wonderful dill sauce for salmon!

regarding the reticle settling... there is a host of things that could cause the same behavior: ammunition, loose rings, loose bases, loose action screws, poor bedding, a chunk of lead that got stuck in your rifling and then worked its way out after a few more shots, or, as in my case... horrible bench skills.

gun bits... you said you "added some elevation" how much? looks like you dialed in 1moa? if so, looks like your scope did the job on your first adjustment. i might have tried a few more shot there to verify what was really going on. it looks like you tried just one shot with each of the other adjustments... with one shot you can begin to chase your tail because your might not really know what is happening. we don't know if those shots were outlyers on the bell curve, a brain fart, a mechanical problem or truly a scope that isn't feeling well. i'd take it to the range again to put a few more rounds through it. if you feel it isn't working as it should you can test it by just turning the knobs while looking at a grid or shoot the box drill off the bench with an air rifle. that is how Dan tested scopes a few years ago to get an idea of which were performing as advertised.
dave imas