Trigger maintanence

This is what we do.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Trigger maintanence

Post by malinois »

We are always worried about barrels, sights and stocks but we seem to forget that little blade that makes it all work........so what do you all do and how often to keep those trigggers happy !
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Trigger maintanence

Post by saikatana »

My Sako Finnfire has a Jewel trigger in it that is very sensitive to debris. SHe usually lets me know when it is time to clean by not resetting.About every 300 rounds I remove the barreled action from the stock and flush the trigger with lighter fluid. This cleans the trigger and has a slight lubing effect. Torque back into the stock and she is good to go at 2oz.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

saikatana wrote:My Sako Finnfire has a Jewel trigger in it that is very sensitive to debris. SHe usually lets me know when it is time to clean by not resetting.About every 300 rounds I remove the barreled action from the stock and flush the trigger with lighter fluid. This cleans the trigger and has a slight lubing effect. Torque back into the stock and she is good to go at 2oz.
Wow! Guess the rumors were right. Jewel's have a reputation as sweet but picky, so Timney, Anschutz and Remington always seemed good enough. Those seem happy enough with solvent and oil dripping down from cleaning the action and an occasional wipe down, but then my rifles get cleaned (some say over cleaned) regularly so unless it was unusually dusty during playtime they don't ask for special treatment.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
ldholton
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ldholton »

i shoot jewel triggers but in rem. 40x and 700's both br and the varmit type with saftey and have never cleaned them except out of gilt like once a year but i shoot them for off hand on 6to 8 oz.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

ldholton wrote:i shoot jewel triggers but in rem. 40x and 700's both br and the varmit type with saftey and have never cleaned them except out of gilt like once a year but i shoot them for off hand on 6to 8 oz.
Lead me not into temptation! I already have enough bad habits!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BlauBear wrote:Lead me not into temptation! I already have enough bad habits!

Spelled 504 :D
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Bob259 wrote:
BlauBear wrote:Lead me not into temptation! I already have enough bad habits!

Spelled 504 :D
Aw man - can't a guy have a little fun?!
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

The bore guides like the ones sold at Midway would be the logical first step in preventative maintainence, second would be to use moly/dry film lubricant on the bolt instead of oil or grease both of which catch silica and create premature wear on all the moving parts. I like the spray moly they sell at auto parts stores because it's much less expensive that the small cans sold specifically for guns. Unless your very mechanical don't take triggers apart or even off the gun for cleaning, remove the action/barrel from the stock and wash out with gunscrubber, buy the can that is marked {synthetic safe}, I've heard that some new triggers have some plastic parts.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it