Smallbore Hunter Stock rules

This is what we do.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Smallbore Hunter Stock rules

Post by Jetmugg »

I don't have a copy of the official NRA rules, but have a question regarding stock configurations for smallbore hunter silhouette. How liberal are the rules when it comes to replacement stocks? I see from the pictures posted on the site that the stocks being used for hunter class are not the "factory issue" stocks for the rifles in question. (Particularly the 10/22's).

I'm a beginner, and would like to use a Hogue overmolded stock on my 10/22, keeping the factory barrel (tapered). As this is a true "hunting" style rifle, it seems like it should conform to the rules. Am I correct in assuming that a stock of this type is acceptable for hunter class, or does the stock need to be a true "factory" stock to be allowed?

SteveM.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Steve,

your stock needs to look like a hunter stock. period. there are a few restrictions but if it walks and talks like a duck it will pass the quack test. those wanting to shoot their hunter in the standard class as well have to mind the standard rifle stock restrictions but for the most part hunter rifle is wide open. just got to look like one. no more "factory" restrictions.
dave
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

As long as it isn't a thumbhole and it 'looks' like a hunting style stock (which NOBODY can define) you're good to go. It doesn't have to be factory any more.

You don't have any problem -- that I know of -- with the Hogue; but, if you go WAAAAAAAAAY custom and want to use it in both classes, watch the drop at toe and the comb height. There are some legal hunters out there that are borderline illegal for standard.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Ah! Great minds... :lol:
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Bull barrells OK also?

Post by Jetmugg »

It looks like bull barrells are OK as well? I guess I should buy a rulebook. It seems like the only real restriction on the Hunting class rifles is the overall weight and the dimensional requirements. Is this pretty much the way the rules are applied?

SteveM.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

the barrel must have a taper. no definition for the taper. if bull barrel means no taper then it won't work for hunter class.