Sako Quad? Few questions.

This is what we do.
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Sako Quad? Few questions.

Post by Shandy »

This rifle doesn't get much of a mention here. I know people will recommend the finnfire but my chances of finding one might be tough. I spotted the Sako Quad Varmint in wood and thought it looked quite nice, also the standard quad in wood. Trying to find info on weight for the varmint. The synthetic doesn't excite me at all so that's out of the question unless I restock. I need to hold these rifles before I know whether I will restock.

But what is the concensus on these rifles seriously? Not a lot written on rimfire central either. I know there is a Lilja barrel option for them too, but there just isn't much written up about them here and what is seems a little mixed. The forget the switch barrel, only interested in .22lr and use will be primarily silhouette but a little target work and hunting. Would be nice to shoot the same rifle for hunter and heavy class.

Priced a 1712 wood stock in Australia and messed my pants :shock: $2900AUD ($2631USD!!!! You theiving ba$t@rds! They sell for $1600US in the USA). Barreled action $1700AUD ($1550USD-a little better but once again $1050US in the USA). I know what these sell for in the US (where I am at the moment) and that just doesn't sit well with me at the moment. May look more seriously into importing my own.

But given the nasty price I'm starting to look at other options. The Sako in either Finn or Quad is an option, as is the Weatherby XXII and Browning Tbolt. All these run around $1500AUD or slightly less. I love the sako stocks and the appeal is that apparently they mimic the centrefire 75/85 stocks quite close. I haven't held a sako in a long time and never the quad but I shoot the 75 very well in 7-08 and find the stock very comfortable.

The other option is to buy a 54 Annie smallbore and chop, stock and run. But it will be single shot.

I know CZ is an option and I had the CZ452 American. It shot great but I'm looking for something nicer and hopefully a little more accurate. The CZ stock was pretty crappy for offhand so if I go back there again I'll probably restock and ??maybe go with the varmint. The 2 action screws on the American was a better set up though.

So the Sako is at the top of the pile (well as much as it can be until I get it in my hands) so I would like to hear thoughts about them as a serious contender. Thanks for your time.

Thanks, JD
Boom........clang!
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Sako Quad? Few questions.

Post by Joaquin B »

Shandy,

While I do not Own a Sako Quad, I do Own a Finnfire and other than some trigger problems (dirt and grit and a few burrs that made their prescence known at a most inopportune moment over a year ago), no problems. They are great little rifles. I would recommend either one, with the heavier barreled version preferable, as the "hunting" barrel contour is slim and you would have to end-up having to add weight to the stock to make the rifle a little easier to hold steady. If you are adventurous, you could have your trusted gunsmith taper the heavy barrel (very shallow cuts at high rpms with heavy coolant flow) to a "hunter" contour of acceptable weight.

I replaced the factory "hunter" contour barrel in mine with a Lilja "Sundberg Taper" 23" barrel and, other than enlarging the barrel channel, no more work was done, until the trigger issue occurred. Problem solved, life is good again.

Best of luck,

JB
Joaquin B
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Shandy,
One of my mentor in this fine sport, the late Alex Smith loaned me his Finnfire for my first hunter nationals in 97. It shot well (much better than myself) and was one of his two favoritve rilfes for the sport, and he managed many high 30 scores with it.
Innocent Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:...... It shot well (much better than myself).........Innocent Mary

Funny how that works... All my rifles are the same way, in fact they are advertising for a new shooter here in the off season :D
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I've had a quad now for about three years. It's the synthetic stock version and I have it in all four chambers. Although I use the 17MKII in it the most, I have shot the 22lr quite a bit. It's very accurate, it will shoot with my Anschutz 1712 and my Walther KKMS. I really like the bolt placement and short bolt throw and lift. It has positive extraction and ejection---I like the way the bolt functions better than any rimfire I have ever had, except maybe my 40X. The clips are less expensive than the Anschutz clips and changing clips may be easier than the Anschutz---the control on the Sako is easier to get at and work. I have shot a couple of silhouette matches with it and it is very light---that may be the only down side---and the trigger is not what the Anschutz and Walther triggers are, but it has a crisp break with no creep and is set at about 3 #'s. I have never messed with the trigger, so I can't tell you how adjustable it is---it is a single stage. The safety is easy to work and I like the placement. Changing barrels is easy---however they don't all have the same zero and most times the same barrel will not return to it's previous zero---so you have to deal with sighting in after each barrel change---someone told me it works better if you use a torque wrench and use the same setting every time, but I haven't tried it yet. It is a quality product, I really like mine and yes, it would be nice to have wood---but I took what I could get.
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

Not a Quad, but a damn nice rifle and actually pretty rare: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vb ... d&id=18639

Not my gun, but I do own one and it is the best shooting 22 I have for our Club 200 yard matches.

Note: The stock is NOT NRA legal for silhouette.

George
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Thanks guys,

Doesn't seem to be any screaming disappointments to it seems they are still a high quality rifle. I'll see what i think once I get one in my hands but I appreciate the comments.

Cheers, JD
Boom........clang!
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Post by saikatana »

I would recommend going to rimfirecentral.com the Sako section is almost all about the Quad at this time. I have a Finnfire with a Lilja barrel and a Jewel trigger. I have not shot a Quad so can not comment on the rifle
Good Luck