Ruger 10/22

This is what we do.
oldboyshooter
Unclassified Poster

Ruger 10/22

Post by oldboyshooter »

I have a Ruger 10/22 (kidd barrel, kidd trigger group, Fajen thumbhole stock) that I love to shoot. However, I am aware of the cartridge case spewing capabilities of this rifle, and would like some help in designing a blocker so that my neighbors would not turn their weapons on me when competiting.

Thanks in advance.

PS, at 50 yards, this gun shoots with my Anschutz and outshoots my CZs (might be the trigger, although I have Timney triggers in them).

Oldboyshooter
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Ruger 10/22

Post by ppkny »

How's it shoot at 100 meters. That's the real test. You should be getting at least 1.5 inches at 100 M to have any chance at all.
ppkny
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

My current 10/22 case deflector consists of 2 pieces of sticky-backed velcro, and a small section of thin plastic cut from a milk jug.
rbrandes
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rbrandes »

oldboyshooter wrote:I have a Ruger 10/22 (kidd barrel, kidd trigger group, Fajen thumbhole stock) that I love to shoot. However, I am aware of the cartridge case spewing capabilities of this rifle, and would like some help in designing a blocker so that my neighbors would not turn their weapons on me when competiting.
Oldboyshooter
I never gave it much thought. But, then again, I am coming from High Power Rifle National Match Competition where you get hit with hot .30-06, .308, .223 all the time.
If you whine about it you will be told to "man up."
I like the velcro idea, since it requires no gunsmithing and sounds like even the ham handed could do it.
And it seems to be easily removed to inspect for an empty chamber or to put an ECI in place.
The most important thing is to be sure it still allows the brass to exit completely and not cause any malfunction.
If you build something, try to test it before you go to a match.
Regards, Ray
AZRifle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AZRifle »

Glad to see you are wanting to be considerate of other shooters.

I knew some others that were shooting 10/22 regularly a few years ago (not at all recently). They had what looked like a commercially made catcher. It had some nylon mesh basket that they empty casings would fly into as they were ejected.

I found one here for $37 but not the same as I had seen at the range.. http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/ruger1022.html

Jerry
Rifle Silhouette Information - http://www.RifleSilhouette.com
Arizona Land Surveying - http://www.AZLandSurveying.com
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

A couple of ways I've seen it done are using a corner from a milk jug and velcro it to the scope tube, same but with wire ties and you spin out of the way for inspection, also have seen just a leather flap with snaps that snaps aroung the scope tube ad hangs over the side using a little stiffner to hold it out a ways to ensure no cases get hung up. Both work real well and are cheap fixes.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

rbrandes wrote:I never gave it much thought. But, then again, I am coming from High Power Rifle National Match Competition where you get hit with hot .30-06, .308, .223 all the time.
If you whine about it you will be told to "man up."

Regards, Ray
The same was true in the service, and we just laughed it off and flipped the brass back at the culprit - when the range officer wasn't looking, of course... In small bore it may be the surprise factor. Getting pelted with brass is just unexpected.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Post by saikatana »

I heard of a shell catcher made of a net used to catch fish in an aquariam. The handle was bent to fit around the scope tube but flipped up to insert
chamber indicator.
I to am working on a 10/22 Ruger for Silhouette. Please state how your rifle shoots at 100 yds.
Saikatana
AZRifle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AZRifle »

oldboyshooter wrote:I have a Ruger 10/22 (kidd barrel, kidd trigger group, Fajen thumbhole stock) that I love to shoot. However, I am aware of the cartridge case spewing capabilities of this rifle, and would like some help in designing a blocker so that my neighbors would not turn their weapons on me when competiting.

Thanks in advance.

PS, at 50 yards, this gun shoots with my Anschutz and outshoots my CZs (might be the trigger, although I have Timney triggers in them).

Oldboyshooter
As far as building a 10/22 specifically for Rifle Silhouette, I would not reccomend it. There are multiple reasons including the simplicity of bolt-action compared to the more complex semi-auto. Some have tried to argue that Troy Lawton won the National Championship using one. That is true but, he is not using one anymore. I doubt that he would switch to give everyone else a handicap. I do not personally know of any other National Championship won with one or, any Master Class shooter currently using one. Personally, I had problems with the quality target ammunitons wax-coating gumming up the action.

If you have an Anschtz, why bother unless it is just for the fun of it and you have the cash (which I can understand that end of it).

Jerry
Rifle Silhouette Information - http://www.RifleSilhouette.com
Arizona Land Surveying - http://www.AZLandSurveying.com
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShooterP14 »

How about showing off your custom 10-22's.

Here's mine - Butler Creek barrel, Kidd trigger, Fajen stock, crappy Tasco scope.

[imgImage[/img]

The only $100 rifle that you can hang $1000 worth of accessories on it.
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!
Chere
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Chere »

So true about the high dollar accessories!
That's a nice gun; I like the thumb hole a lot and even tho I haven't shot a 2 stage trigger, the idea appeals to me.
I agree, I have "the" rifle for silhouette in my Annie 1710. I was thinking a 10/22 for the fun of it, for plinking and a "sometimes" silhouette possibly.
Maybe I should just build a benchrest gun instead as that's probably the next discipline I'll be venturing into.
1stlttightwad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1stlttightwad »

Chere wrote:So true about the high dollar accessories!
That's a nice gun; I like the thumb hole a lot and even tho I haven't shot a 2 stage trigger, the idea appeals to me.
I agree, I have "the" rifle for silhouette in my Annie 1710. I was thinking a 10/22 for the fun of it, for plinking and a "sometimes" silhouette possibly.
Maybe I should just build a benchrest gun instead as that's probably the next discipline I'll be venturing into.
You bet. I'll take my Rem 581S that I paid $140.00 for and shoot with ANY 10-22 that someone has poured $1000.00 bucks into. Ruger owners talk about how their 10-22 shoots bug holes..yup, with aftermarket barrel, aftermarket stock, aftermarket trigger group, aftermarket magazine release..Yup,,that's one bug shooting..... RECEIVER. HUH. I love my 10-22....for what it is.. a decent minute of squirrel at 25yds repeater, and not what it is not meant to be.
Dave Deo Vindice
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

My 10-22 and many others will shoot groups with the Annie's. It just can't match the lock time. I fought off buying 10-22 for years and recently got a Clark to shoot Sportsmans Team Challenge. The 2 stage Kidd trigger is remarkable, although I don't have one .... Yet! But would I shoot it over my 1712 or 54.18? No! Would I consider upgrading a 10/22 that I own into silo rifle if I didn't have the cash to buy a 1712? I might now that I've seen what a Clark barrel and Kidd trigger can do.
- Joe
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I still insist that a semi-auto is very difficult to shoot.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

One of the most accurate .22s I have ever owned was a custom AMT rifle (Ruger 10-22 clone). It had their own SS action, Shilen Select Match barrel, do not remember who made the stock for them and the trigger was a Ruger group reworked to break at 2 lbs. I was never able to get used to the slower lock time of that semi-auto rifle and my scores showed that plus I lost a lot of money when I sold it to a friend that wanted it more than I did.