New Shooter introduction

This is what we do.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

New Shooter introduction

Post by dave imas »

sooo... how do ya'll do it? Ursula, (girlfriend) having never shot a firearm before, decided she would like to try silhouette. so i:

1. put her on the bench with pcp target rifle in the house.

2. put her on the bench at a silhouette match with Sako Finnfire. she hit 59/60

3. worked with her on off-hand position and hold with Sako and air rifle.

4. had her shoot air rifle in the house.

5. took her to silhouette match where she shot at pistol targets off-hand. she hit 40/60

6. next step is silhouette match at regulation targets.

do you do anything different? any steps you might recommend? did i miss anything?

dave
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

It sounds to me like you've covered the bases well.

The only thing that comes to mind is how fragile -- or NOT! -- is her ego? IOW, if she's not pretty assertive, do you think it might be smart to let her shoot a couple more 'fun' matches at the big targets (working on her ability to pick spots, call shots and see the results of her follow through on those slow-falling animals) before putting her into the higher stress of a 'real' match where it's harder to see 'why' they don't all drop...?

Be careful -- it's a very slippery slope! It didn't take any time at all before Sandy was outshooting me every match. (Of course, she didn't have all that far to go!) lol
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Yeah Ernie... you may very well be right. i've been dancing with the possibility that i may push her too fast. Perhaps another match or three at the larger targets will better cement her confidence. good advice.
dave
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Dave,

I have seen this with young shooters at our matches, they get pushed to fast or push themselves and then the other shoe drops and they have no fond memories of when they were hitting 30/40, I usually just steer them back to the 3/8 th targets and let them build up there confidence and skills as Ernie said. She's got plenty of time to learn to hate this sport, much like a child, let them enjoy life for awhile it will soon kick them in the teeth. Just my .02 cents

As far as I kind see you have planted the seed and nurtured it well, let it bask in the sun for awhile.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

On the other hand....I don't think women tend to have nearly as many ego problems about sports. They are more patient about acquiring skills over time. They don't get upset about missed shots, they just go on to the next one. This is a major advantage in shooting. Best to let her proceed at her own pace, which is what she'll do anyway. You probably won't have to worry about either pushing or discouraging.

Post by Guest »

Dave,

Just bring her to Winnsboro for the Southern Nationals and she will be hooked even if she never hits a target. We WILL make sure that ya'll have a LARGE time!

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

David
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Scratch that.....

Post by GeoNLR »

Think LONG and HARD before bringing her to Winnie.... Think I'm kidding, ask TL about the dinner stories..... Mac is just baiting you on that one....
Image Chicken George
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

there is no way this side of heaven that i would subject ANYONE i deeply cared about to the likes of y'all! i have her convinced that i'm a nice enough guy... you guys would just blow my cover.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Oh, and coming from you dave that hurt.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg