NRA Nationals Locations?

This is what we do.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

NRA Nationals Locations?

Post by atomicbrh »

Why are the Smallbore Nationals always located in the far Northeast or the far Western part of the United States. Would it not be more feasible to hold the NRA Nationals in a different part of the country on a rotating basis. Say, Northeast one year, Southeast the next year, Southwest the next year, Northwest the next, Midwest the next and so on. The Match is either held in Ridgway, Phoenix or Raton. I do not want to hear that mess about Smallbore has to be held at a range where Highpower can be shot also, or that its too hot or any other of those lame excuses. Smallbore is now an entity unto itself. In my way of thinking if the Highpower and Smallbore Nationals have to be held at the same range then the Air Rifle Nationals should be held at the same location also. And why can it not be held on the same weekend every year so that I can schedule leave far enough in advance to actually attend? One of the reasons Winnsboro is so popular is because we know exactly when it will be held each year, just like the other matchs of the Southern Trifecta.

Bobby R. Huddleston
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

The nationals are scheduled in a manner to accommodate the summer schedules of the overwhelming majority of competitors. Individuals are always free to attend or not. Last time I checked, the earth revolves around the sun, not the other way around.
Joaquin B
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

I alwasy kinda thought it that way so that no region would have to put up with us two years ina row............ :?:
Commander in Chief, F Troop
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Not True

Post by atomicbrh »

Not True Joaquin B: These are the dates and locations of the Smallbore Nationals since my family started Silhouette: 2001> July 23-26 Milroy, PA., 2002> August 4-6 Raton, NM.(School had already started where we live), 2003 July13-15 Ridgeway, PA., 2004>July 11-13 Raton NM., 2005> June 12-14 Phoenix, AZ., 2006> July9-11 Ridgeway, PA. Do you see any kind of pattern to which weekend during the Summer the National Matchs in Smallbore Silhouette are to be held? I do not. How do these random dates "accomodate the summer schedules of the overwhelming majority of competitors"? Do you see certain regions of the country such as the Midwest and Southeast(Winnsboro Gun Club for one)which have the personnel, accomodations, range facility, savvy and desire to hold a National Event the way it should be done virtually ignored by the NRA competition division? The Nationals should be equally spread in alternating years around every region of the country and be on a set week(ie. second weekend of July every year). This would be the fair method of National Match location assignment and give a more widespread opportunity for all NRA Competitors to make a Smallbore Nationals at least once during their lifetime. All competitors do not have an unlimited budget to travel and unlimited free time.

Bobby R. Huddleston
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

atomicbrh, what you are suggesting makes a lot of sense but is not going to happen for several reasons the main of which is that the NRA has no control over the clubs where the Nationals are held and most of the time have to go with the dates provided by those clubs.

As you probably know they also host Sil Nats for Hunter
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Post by duckgumbo »

I want to thank Bobby for starting this thread and everyone on this thread for the kind words about the Southern Nationals as it is much more believable for non-WGC members to tell how good our match is.

I really did want to stay out of this thread, but the Lone Ringer made a statement that I will put in this post and comment on.

Lone Ringer said - Now they only award the hosting of National matches to clubs that can have both the HP and SB back to back so shooters do not have to travel to two different places to shoot. I know it is hard for some people to understand that but at Nationals competitors meetings that is the wish of most people that shoot both HP and SB and most of the time attendance to matches is better when is done that way than when they split the matches so I don
Sgt. O'Ducky
Ftard Troop
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

nationals

Post by Jerry G »

A requirement to hold the nationals is for 10 banks of animals. That knocks out a lot of clubs. They want a club to hold the SB and HP back to back. How many clubs do you know of that have 10 banks of HP? How many clubs do you know of that even shoot HP? That is the physical limitations, not to mention the politics of it all.

That said, Raton is a nice range but is not close to anyone. It is tough to get there from anywhere.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Can you guys who are on the "inside group" of folks that determine the dates and locations of the 2007 NRA Smallbore Nationals post that information on this forum or pm me as soon as those decisions are made? The earlier I know the dates and locations, the better chance I have to get Leave approved from my Liberal Gun-hating supervisor. When I mentioned I was going to Ridgeway in July this year but had not put it on the Leave Calender yet, she got up and ran to the Leave Calender and put herself down for leave on the same dates I needed just for spite. I am trying to obtain a different position at work with a less liberal environment so that my son and I can attend more of the big matchs in the future. We always can attend the Southern Nationals because we know exactly when they are held each year. Same with the Spring Breakout Regionals at Little Rock, AR.

Thanks,
Bobby R. Huddleston
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

The 2007 Nationals are at Raton. The dates for SB are July 8,9,10; and HP is July 12,13,14. The 2008 Nationals will be at Ridgway, but I don't know what the dates are. Al Foust