More Hunter Rimfire options

This is what we do.
chunter
B Poster
B Poster

More Hunter Rimfire options

Post by chunter »

All,

I have been using Anschutz rifles for Smallbore Silhouette for a long time now, and was wondering if anybody has any experience with the following rifles or any opinions on how well they would work as a Hunter Silhouette rifle. While neither of the rifles below may work perfect, how does the barreled actions and triggers fair when compared to the Anschutz's 17XX series?

Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle
Ultra Light Arms Model 20 Rimfire

In addition has anyone played with a (Time, Turbo, Suhl, etc. ) action and built a hunter?

Thanks,

C Hunter
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

You might want to talk with Marvin Pearson in Chehalis, WA and ask about the rifles he's building on Rem 541s. He mills for the Ansch
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Hi Casey, Ernie is right. The 581 / 541 guns that I am working on are very sweet. One down side is that the receiver is forever married to the Anschutz 5018 Match trigger. There is no going back to the original setup.

I have some photos of this conversion but I am simply not smart enough to figure out how to post a picture here...Maybe someone could help me out......Marv
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Daym, do I have to do everything for you people?????

Image Chicken George
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Thank you Mr. Chicken....That's the 541 I just finished.....Marv
DWL

Post by DWL »

Get in line Chunter! The next Pearson 541 is mine. Hey, wanna buy my Rem700 VS so I can pay Marv?

dwl
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

Metelhead
Is ther still room for the second action screw, can't tell from the picture. I have a 541 or two that I may want to do this to.

Thanks,

Paul

Post by Guest »

Hi Paul....I actually drill and tap a 10-32 hole in the receiver that is spaced 3.00 inches from the centerline of the 5/16 - 24 main guard screw hole that is near the front of the receiver.

I have also desinged and built a special lightweight aluminum trigger guard for this conversion. Keep in mind that these converted receivers are intended to go in a Mark Pharr type stock. The factory trigger guard dont work so good because the curved Briley trigger shoe that is required is to deep.

One other thing, in order to get the bolt out for a thorough cleaning, you have to take the trigger assembly off of the rifle and remove the custom bolt stop.. It's no big deal, just two screws.

The magazine removal can also be problematic. Due to the increased depth of the Pharr stock and others, coupled with the fact that the Rem. 541 / 581 clips are curved towards the front, sometimes one must push down on the magazine and then pull it out of the gun from below.

Meaning, if you push the magazine release and expect the clip to fall out into the palm of your hand, this might not happen.

Hope this clears up a few questions....Marv
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

She sure is a sexy thing....
Image Chicken George
chunter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chunter »

Hey Marv,

A couple questions about your creations:

What was the reasoning behind using the 541/581 action? Are you rebarrelling them? If so what barrel you using? Are you doing anything else to the actions, other than what you mentioned below?
Have you tried building a Smallbore hunter on any other actions?

Ernie mentioned you were getting fast locktimes, are they faster than the Sako or the Anschutzs 54s?

Final question...what cost are we looking at for a complete rifle barreled action and stock?

Thanks,

Casey
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Hello Casey...First of all, I can't take credit for this set-up. That goes to Dennis Martinen and Eric Boos. These guys are always looking for ways to improve their equiptment.

They chose the Rem 581 / 541 action because they are about 8 or 9 ounce lighter that an Anschutz 1710 or 54. The Remingtons also have a much faster lock time than the Anschutz.

Another factor is that they are readily available and they are relativley inexpensive compared to an Anschutz. But, the main reason is the weight and the lock time.

Dennis and Eric firmly beleive that the weight of the gun should be in the barrel. Not the receiver or stock. They also like the barrel to be finished at 24" long.

When you marry the Remington receiver to an Anschutz 5018 trigger, you have a pretty sexy combination.

I thread the inside of the receiver to receive a special contour Shilen Select Match barrel. Sorry, but no more out of tolerance Lilja barrels on my guns. I then weld on some mounting pads and machine them to the correct height, drill and tap, then bolt on the Anschutz trigger after re-bluing the receiver.

As to the cost, your looking at somewhere around $1550 plus or minus if you supply me with the receiver.

This cost includes the Anschutz 5018 trigger, Two pound spring conversion kit, Shilen Select Match stainless barrel, 16 twist, thread receiver, Install barrel, cut extractor slots, Mark Pharr stock, Airweight trigger guard, 11 MOA tapered base & rings, Drill & Tap receiver 8-40 for tapered base, Polish & Re-blue receiver, Inlet & alum. pillar bed stock, Briley trigger shoe......Pretty much the complete gun ready for you to mount your scope.

Hope this helps....Marv
chunter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chunter »

I was thinking that the Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle would be another alternative

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976673336.htm

But after seeing how much there are going for, I think that Marv's creation is a better value...a full custom gun from Marv with custom stock, rings & bases all for around the same price +- $200. Time to see how many pennies are in the piggy bank.[/img]