equipment question

This is what we do.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

equipment question

Post by chuck d »

Finally shot my first match yesterday. Nailed an 11, which throwing in nerves of the firts time, figuring out how things worked, and I am usually around 16, I left motivated.
My question-
I am a gear head, with everything.
My 452 is under an inch at 100 off the bench. My Bushnell 4200 is clear and repeatable. even the stock, well its as well as my AR that I have shot for the last 18 years in HP. And I like the idea of competing with "off the shelf" rifles. I did the Yo Dave's trigger and firing spring pin and floated the barrel.

How far will my CZ take me????

My first thought after yesterdays match was plan the Pharr/1712. But now I am thinking air rifle and ammo.

CZ and 35 realistic?

Thanks
chuck
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: equipment question

Post by Innocent »

Chuck, First...great score for a first match.
Equipment wise, yes a 35 is reasonable to expect as long as the ammo and the rifle like each other, and the scope continues to hold repeatablility. You do not mention a vest, a worthwhile investment.
Without question the rig will take you into AAA level with a little practice. The other side is, that you will find that the resrtictions will be 1) mental, 2) fit of the rifle to you. Stick with what you have for a while
at least until you have had time to try many other rifles.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If your rifle shoots 1 minute off the bench and the trigger is good your rig should be capable of taking you into master class. The hard part is the rusty nut pulling the trigger. \m/
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Chick d wrote: "My 452 is under an inch at 100 off the bench".
What kind of ammo are you using ? My CZ with SK is just about 1 1/4 at 100. If your gun and ammo is as accuarate as you say there should be nothing other than practice for you to reach Master with your equipment.
ppkny
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

nice chuck, shoot Pemi? sorry i missed you
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
calixt0
B Poster
B Poster

Post by calixt0 »

a vest was mentioned? can someone please post a link as to what kind of vest is being talked about?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

calixt0 wrote:a vest was mentioned? can someone please post a link as to what kind of vest is being talked about?
http://www.hardscrabblemountain.com/ind ... ette-vests
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

I also have one Marco Sanchez vest in my possession for sale. It will fit someone between 5'8" to about 6' 2" . Brown/black combination on colors.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

silhouette13 wrote:nice chuck, shoot Pemi? sorry i missed you
Yes Dave, finally made a match. Did shoot Pemi, much different experience from NRA HP. Hoping to make Pemi CLA, but work just made it a bit iffy. rest of SB season should be good, inc NH Championship.

Thanks, sure I'll meet you soon
chuck
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I'd get the vest! After a repeatable scope, a vest is in my opinion the next best accessory for silhouette shooting.
Baby Huey
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

ppkny wrote:Chick d wrote: "My 452 is under an inch at 100 off the bench".
What kind of ammo are you using ? My CZ with SK is just about 1 1/4 at 100. If your gun and ammo is as accuarate as you say there should be nothing other than practice for you to reach Master with your equipment.
ppkny
I am using the last of my Eley Silhouette. It was just over 3/4" at 100 M for 5 shots. My next test -Eley Practice (next stuff I will shoot) was about 1 1/4" but may have been me,with a couple flyers, again for 5 shots.

How ofter do you go back to the bench and check your ammo/scope?

Thanks
chuck
Last edited by chuck d on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you are 'crackers' and don't trust yourself or your equipment, about an hour before each mach may not be enough.

If you have self esteme and do trust your equipment, Checking your chicken zero with a few shots and then checking your setting for the animal you are starting on should be just fine.

You may want to 'warm-up' yourself with some offhand shooting before the match.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I agree with PPKNY. The CZ will take you to Master. The limitation is the shooter, knowing your equipment and practice
potterboy1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by potterboy1 »

Since a vest is mentioned as being an important piece of equipment I am wondering why? Does it really help that much since one is not allowed wear a tight vest and that would limit your upper body movement. BTW the Nationals was my first competition besides my weekly club Silhouette league. I had a blast, everyone that I encountered there were friendly and helpful. I believe my that more "big" shoots will be in my future.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

potterboy1 wrote:Since a vest is mentioned as being an important piece of equipment I am wondering why? Does it really help that much since one is not allowed wear a tight vest and that would limit your upper body movement. BTW the Nationals was my first competition besides my weekly club Silhouette league. I had a blast, everyone that I encountered there were friendly and helpful. I believe my that more "big" shoots will be in my future.
While not like a CMP or 3P shooting coat which are tight, the silhouette shooting vest, being made of a heavy material, takes your heart beat out, helps settle your shoulders and with the shoulder piece helps you reseat the rifle in the same position every time.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)