Yodave vs. Brooks Trigger Kits for CZ452

This is what we do.
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Yodave vs. Brooks Trigger Kits for CZ452

Post by KidCulpepper »

I am new here and to silhouette (shot a match or two years ago but just now buying some stuff to give it a go for real!) and just purchased a CZ452 Silhouette. I found the trigger to be pretty rough compared to what I am accustomed (I have been shooting SB and HP match rifles for ~30 years) so did lots of reading both here and on other forums about improving it. Although it didn't take me long to discover that there are several trigger modification kits available, I have not yet been able to find anything that compares the two. Is the Yodave or Brooks kit better or is there something else I should consider? They look like they are basically the same thing so it may be a toss up or as implied a couple of places, all about availability/delivery time?

Thanks,
Stephen
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Yodave vs. Brooks Trigger Kits for CZ452

Post by Bob259 »

KidCulpepper wrote:I am new here and to silhouette (shot a match or two years ago but just now buying some stuff to give it a go for real!) and just purchased a CZ452 Silhouette. I found the trigger to be pretty rough compared to what I am accustomed (I have been shooting SB and HP match rifles for ~30 years) so did lots of reading both here and on other forums about improving it. Although it didn't take me long to discover that there are several trigger modification kits available, I have not yet been able to find anything that compares the two. Is the Yodave or Brooks kit better or is there something else I should consider? They look like they are basically the same thing so it may be a toss up or as implied a couple of places, all about availability/delivery time?

Thanks,
Stephen
Welcome Stephen.... I put a Brooks kit in my friends and a Timney in mine. Each has advantages, Brooks or the YoDave inexpensive, the Timney a little more work to fit in the stock but better adjustment range. YMMV....
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I've had the Brooks kit in my cz452 and it did improve the trigger somewhat. The trigger in the Cz's are pretty basic and you can't do much with them beyond taking up the slack in the levers. I went to a Timney eventually. It's little more work getting it in but the end result is you have a precision fully adjustable trigger.
ppkny
potterboy1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by potterboy1 »

I put the Brooks kit in mine because at the time that was all that was out there. I have no complaints. It does take some trial and error to find the right combo of shims and springs but once you are done your done. One word of advice when working on installing the shim have something like a towel to catch the little ball bearing that WILL fall out and if you are on a work bench that little bugger will bounce and hide.
mgood
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mgood »

I had the Brooks kit in a 452 Varmint. I bought the gun used and it was already installed. The trigger was about 8, maybe 8.5, ounces and crisp.
I wanted to get it up to 2 pounds for hunter class. The guy I bought the gun from said he still had all the extra springs and stuff and he'd bring them to me so I could set it up however I wanted. . . . He never did. :(

I now have the YoDave kit ordered. The YoDave kit looks like the same thing. We'll see when it gets here.
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 1armoured »

As a more 'professional' option;
We installed an AS replacement adjustable (by a grub screw) trigger sear, available from Brownells for $66,
and it's absolutely magic, and tested safe for butt and bolt slam fires.
Crisp and reduces the weight of pull a bit, but you can lighten further with a spring replace, (or increase, as we had to do.)
Ours is sitting on 2lb (and a bit) for the hunter 'Light Rifle'.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1678 ... TABLE_SEAR

cheers,
SS
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

I have had both, could not tell the difference in Brooks vs YoDave. There was a time brooks had delivery time problems, that was a couple years ago, not sure where he is now. YoDave was 5 days, and I got the heavier firing pin.
The green bushing (cant remember which spring) has given me a very consistent 2.3 lb trigger w/o creep. Rimfire Central has an extensive CZ site too.

I planon doing another CZ and will most likely try the sear mentioned.

Enjoy, they shoot great!

chuck
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KidCulpepper »

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information! :mrgreen: I ordered a Yodave kit and will see what that does for it before ordering a new sear from Brownells (or maybe a Timney, depending on the proce and if I can try one out).

Thanks again,
Stephen
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

From what I've heard from many reliable sources, Brooks blew off more than a few orders at one point. Stopped completely, and is now back in business. Save yourself the trouble, like you did, and get the YoDave with the adjustable sear. The timney is a very easy unit to put in a silhouette stock though with it not being wood! Timney trigger I liked best, but the YoDave is a very close 2nd and for the money can't be beat!
Baby Huey
mgood
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mgood »

That's why I ordered from YoDave. It arrived fairly quick. I don't remember exactly how many days it took. (Arrived yesterday, but I don't remember exactly when I ordered it.) Not more than 10 days. Maybe more like 7.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I tried the kit (Brooks and YoDave are the same), then moved to the Automated Solutions adjustable sear, and then the first-generation Timney trigger. Each was better than the previous. When I got my daughter a CZ 452 Scout, I went straight to the newer-generation Timney trigger and was very disappointed. It didn't give nearly as good a resulting trigger as the first generation, but it also didn't have the risk of letting the bolt be pulled out of the rifle like the first generation trigger. The fact that my daughter really didn't like the sharp edges on the Timney sealed the deal and it went to live with someone else. :)

That said, I'm seriously considering the Rifle Basix trigger now. It's basically the factory trigger design with some small modifications. I grabbed a cobalt drill bit to see if I can drill through the factory trigger from my CZ 452 Varmint to put a sear engagement adjustment screw in like the Rifle Basix trigger has. If I can't (that metal laughed at my other drill bits), then a Rifle Basix trigger will probably be on its way to my daughter's gun.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I bought a #143 spring [.60 cents + $2.00 gas] at the hardware store and cut it a hair shorter than the factory spring and digital check was 2lb 1/2 oz trigger with plenty room for adjustment. I have shot 400 rounds the past 4 weeks since spring replacement and need to check using our club 2lb trigger weight that we use for matches. It has to pass that for our verification. Both barrel screws are torqued to factory spec of 25 inch pounds. The trigger is crisp.
Last edited by teetertotter on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

The Rifle Basix looks like the way to go. I just got my 455 American and I still need to break everything in. Perhaps after a 500-1000 rounds I will reexamine if I need to improve the trigger.