Proof Positive Duct Tape has it's place on a SB Rifle

This is what we do.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Proof Positive Duct Tape has it's place on a SB Rifle

Post by gunbits »

Took this picture at the NRA Museum. A Smallbore Silhouette Rifle with barrel weight firmly attached with duct tape in a Red Green sort of fashion.

Da Pic

Realizing just how masculine and practical this idea is, I will now attempt to design a hunter-stock with a 100-mile-an-hour tape motif. Look for it in a rack near you. :lol:
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Wasn't it "Texas" Charlie McClure who once chicken-wired and Scotch taped an old Mossberg barreled action to a piece of unpainted, pine two-by-four scrap in order to demonstrate that "It's the shooter, not the equipment?" I ran across a silhouette article in an older issue of Precision Shooting and Charlie was one of several top shooters quoted. There was a picture of the rifle. That is a neat article...I have it somewhere still. Wish I had read it before I had the pleasure of dining with Charlie in Dallas last year. That was one of MY '05 highpoints.
Charlie was quoted as saying something to the effect of: "It's a great sport but you have to be careful. Silhouette has ruined some marriages."
Wouldn't it be neat if someone wrote a book about the history of silhouette and all the great characters and events and...and...nawww, forget it.
Kess
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kess »

The smallbore silhouette rifle in the pic looks like one that I remember Rob or William shooting in the early '90s. There were some gawdawful ugly, gaudy guns back then, and they got worse...witness Charley's 2x4 rifle. Y'know, somewhere I've got a pic of him on the firing line with that thing..if I can find it I'll post it..unless Charley pays me not to. :lol:
Ed Kessey
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Who'd buy the book? Most silhouette shooters can't read! (Why do you think there are so few of us on these boards -- and, after seeing the stuff we post, can you believe that WE'RE the ones who CAN read!) :oops:

I'm not sure but I think that that 2x4 gun has been certified and shot in both state and national-level matches. I KNOW that it's been good for a number of 5-in-a-row pins. (That's with an ooooooooooooolllllllllld T-10 on it...WITH A CRACKED OBJECTIVE LENS!) lol

But PLEASE! It isn't affixed to the stock with Scotch tape and chicken wire, it's on there with baling wire, hose clamps...and a few strategically placed (and carefully hammered over) nails! (Also, most of the stock shaping was 'meticulously' accomplished with a hatchet.) I'm not sure whether there's any duct tape on it. I'll have to check, and, if necessary, bring that error to Charlie's attention and get him to correct the situation.
TXCharlie

Post by TXCharlie »

Duct Tape is on the rifle....a primary motorcycle racer tool. Bail'n wire, and a hose clamp. I kept telling those high priced 'smiths that bedding was not important.
It has a steel tube T-16... Yes it has some cracks in the glass.
The first 5 shots for record were 5 X's on Rams at the Louisiana Nationals.

The rifle in the picture looks like the tape is covering lead solder, a cheap barrel weight
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I forgot the hose clamp. Everybody knows that wire and tape aren't sufficient bedding without a hose clamp.
Found the article last night. Anyone who wants a copy (which includes outstanding shooting advice from Charlie and several other luminaries) should PM me with a snail mail address. I don't do technology.
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Post by duckgumbo »

Charlie is correct in that the rifle in question, 2x4, was certified at the Southern Nationals in Winnsboro and a five-in-a-row Ram pin was awarded to the shooter of this rifle. I may be mistaken, but I think that MISTER Troy Lawton shot this rifle at our match in a practice match.

Just another jewel for the Southern Nationals and proof that we will do ANYTHING for the amusement of our guests!

Duck Gumbo

"If you can't soar with the eagles, quack in the bayou with the ducks!"
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

AJJ,

I'd like a copy -- but I doubt that it'll do any good since I've been getting advice from Charlie for years and I'm STILL only AA!

(Of course, most of his 'advice' consists of incredulous questions along the lines of: "Are you SURE that you're shooting at THIS bank of animals?" or "Is there any chance that you changed scopes -- or dropped that rifle several times -- and forgot to rezero?" And the MOST emabarrassing one was: "NO! You can't 'accept' a hold like that! The guys on adjacent banks are digging FOXHOLES!" I keep looking for better spotters but he's the only one who'll work with me!) lol
Last edited by nomad on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TXCharlie

Post by TXCharlie »

It is apparent that the silhouette shooters "Bible" is applied for this thread....
RULE ONE. Thou shall lie, even when the truth is known and verifiable.
RULE TWO. When RULE ONE does not apply, use it anyway.

Nomad, I will not help/harm your shooting through training assistance.... Sandy kicked everyone
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

TXCharlie, any chance you can post a picture?
Or maybe Chicken can do it..LOL. Still wanna see a picture of that .22lr rimfire mussle loader and acessories he shoots,.
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Post by Guest »

http://webpages.charter.net/n2837t/2X4.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/n2837t/2X4%202.jpg

You asked for it....
Troy and other infamous individuals at Raton.

"How many .22's can one own???? How many are there...."
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gunbits »

That's awesome. LOL.