Needing to figure out a new way to practice.

This is what we do.
JDBraddy
B Poster
B Poster

Needing to figure out a new way to practice.

Post by JDBraddy »

The sillhouette range where I shoot is a 70 mile drive one way, wich is prohibative both in time and cost of gas, but I have a membership at a public range less than five miles from my house. Untill recently, I simply took my swingers and put them up at the appropriate distances on the 100yd public range. Recently houwever, they opened a middle school less than a block from the range, and the range owner has become understandably paranoid, and has forbidden this practice. Now only paper targets, directly in front of the berm may be used. They have also modified the overhead cover, so no one may shoot from the standing position on the 100yd range, one must shoot only from the bench or prone. They do still permit shooting from the standing position on the 50yd range. Any suggestions on how I can best get decent practice being limited to paper targets, at exactly 50yds, on a public range, between the zombie hunters spraying with their AR's and AK's, and the once every 5-10 years sesonal hunters trying to figure out how to load, and get on paper with grandpa's old Marlin 30/30.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Needing to figure out a new way to practice.

Post by cedestech »

Download chicken targets, put them on the 50 yard line and shoot them. I make 20 copies of each animal and it cost less then $5 at the office supply place to make the copies.
I don't know about you but for me the hold is what I am always working on so one animal to shoot at is just as much work as all 4.
We are lucky here in Houston that we have 2 silhouette ranges, both with dedicated racks and one with dedicated swingers also... That is were I am heading in a few minnutes.....

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

looks like air-rifle might be the way to go in your own back yard......shooting from a bench or prone just is not going to cut it. They make reduce 10 meter targets or if you have the space you can set up the full scale air-rifle practice range with swingers....20-30-37 and 45 yards
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I have the animals scaled all for 50 yards in a pdf file if you want it. Might not get it till Monday though since it is on my work PC where I make my targets :-$ I like to use the tag card stock you get at walmart for $5 per 150 sheets. Stiff enough to stay laying down and makes nicer holes than just copy paper especially when shooting flat head pellets at 10m inside.

You will be better off shooting paper more often anyway so you can see what is going on with your hold. You can also dry fire at home and do the Lawton Hold Drill etc.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Buy a Rika Trainer for your computer and shoot in your basement or garage with your silhouette rifle.
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

Dee wrote: You will be better off shooting paper more often anyway so you can see what is going on with your hold.
I feel it is the shooting (training) that matters more than the shape or distance of the target. Set a target at 50 and shoot until you can put all the shots in it. Then make it smaller and do it again.. (The Lawton Drill)

The goal of the drill above is improving marksmanship and execution of fundamentals. (Sight picture and trigger squeeze) at any distance at any target.

Different targets at different distances and in changing conditions I feel is more a test of equipment (sight settings) and reading conditions and adjusting for them. Important but you have to be capable of aiming at the target before worrying about wind and trajectory.

Practice (train) a lot to get good !!

Tony Tello has an excellent discussion defining the difference between practice and training.

My 2 cents
Gator”
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I do what Gator mentioned! I draw nice red circle on a piece of white computer paper about quarter to half dollar size and shoot at that for all the distances. Do I hit it everytime? Of course not, but I do feel it has helped me!
Baby Huey
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

another option is using the TQ-14 scaled target at 50 feet.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

JDBraddy wrote:.....Any suggestions on how I can best get decent practice being limited to paper targets, at exactly 50yds,....
I sometimes participate in this (both 25 and 50 yard versions) event put together by Trent. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=231987

Setting up any of the usual NRA endorsed bullseye targets can get you "hold and try to cut down the wobble zone" practice.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Air rifle is easy and effective. I shoot several offhand disciplines and practice for all with a 10 M single stroke Walther 10 Meters or 50 feet Scoped for Silhouette Iron sight for CLA and Schuetzen. Almost always used scaled targets for the individual discipline

Boats
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Another alternative to practice with live ammo is if you have any 50 foot indoor range in your area. There are PDF silhouette animal paper targets you can download for that distance. Some will draw dime size on paper and staple/tape to card board for indoor 50 foot practice.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/