Which CZ rifle?

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Which CZ rifle?

Post by DavidABQ »

I have been shooting silhouette at my local gun club with my Kimber 82G which is too heavy but they let me shoot anyway.

I am considering attending the Nationals at the NRA Whittington Center since I live only 3 hrs. away.

With the CZ Style and Silhouette both discontinued which platform should I look at?

The Lux/Ultralux or the American?
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Which CZ rifle?

Post by jdp »

The CZ Style and Silhouette are both discontinued but are still available. The 452 American is also discontinued but is still available. Your local gun shop can order any of these from Zanders. They still have them in stock. You can check yourself at http://www.gzanders.com
Last edited by jdp on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Peterson
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

There's actually a 452 American for sale right now.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
JDBraddy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JDBraddy »

If you can, handle several different models, or even try before you buy, I bought a CZ Silhouette, and while it shot great, I quickly discovered the stock just didn't fit me, and it was a little too muzzle light for me to get a steady hold. I handled several before deciding to trade it for a special Trainer. Even though the gun doesn't shoot any better from the bench, my practice scores instantly went up about five hits per 60 targets. I think it was because the stock just fits me better, and the extra couple inches of barrel length and the front sight add a bit of weight out front, so it's easier for me to hold steady.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

With the exception of the Ultra Lux, the barrel is too long, any of the sporter tapered barreled CZs should fit the the rules?
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

David,
that is correct. Although I have yet to see an ultra lux thrown out of a competition due to barrel length.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Innocent wrote:David,
that is correct. Although I have yet to see an ultra lux thrown out of a competition due to barrel length.

Mary
Really? I know where there is an Ultra Lux is sitting, at least it was a couple of days ago. It seemed to fit me well but so did the Silhouette I tried out a couple of months ago.

I guess I will be hitting the gun shops this afternoon.

Thank you everyone. With any luck I'll be shooting in Nationals this year, that is if I can get classified before then!
apr67
B Poster
B Poster

Post by apr67 »

I bought a 455 American. At 50 yards its almost one ragged hole.

Shooting my 5th rimfire silhouette I got my first AA score. Still using cheap ammo (automatch) as I have not gotten a chance to bench test and see what ammo is most accurate.

I still score higher with my marlin 795, but that is a cowboy iron sight match using pistol targets.

Based on the two action screws that the 455's have, I think long term they will be a very stable and strong platform to build from.
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jloehle »

I am new to this having only done a few shots to see what it was all about. Now I am eager to get involved.

I went to a local match and one of the guys there said the Varmint was the best way to go because of the weight of the barrel. Can anyone comment on that? I had thought the American was a better way to go.

I would appreciate any information so I can make a good informed decision to get started.

Joe
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Joe,
Weight of the barrel is a personal preference, just as scopes are. The mechanics of the action of a 452 are essentially the same, as are the mechanics of the Weaver, Leupold and Sightron scopes are similar.
The weight of the barrel preference is based on whether you like the weight forward or not, some prefer it as it seems to help steady them. Others like the balance of the rifle to be more towards the stock,
I say try several and see what you like for balance first.

Mary

CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I personally like the Silhouette version the best. Also the sythetic is alot easier to hollow out to add weight in the stock opposed to the wood.
Baby Huey
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What Mary said... if you look at 10 master shooters they will all have different holds, different equipment and different techniques.

:D
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jloehle »

I know you are right about personal preference. The guy who liked the Varmint best (and by the way was a good shooter and gunsmith) said the silhouette wasn't any good because it was too light.

The biggest problem is that there is no place around here that carries CZs to test them. There is actually no one around here that has any kind of decent .22 rifles.

I guess I am looking for something "middle of the road" to start with and see where I need to make adjustments. I figure in the beginning, there will be more adjustments needed on me than on my rifle.

Joe
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Joe,
CZ's have a strong resale value if you decide you want a differnt rifle later.

Mary

DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I went out with the intent of picking up the Ultra Lux and chance the barrel length but instead I found and bought a 455 American.

The wood is not bad, I have seen worse and it fits me well so I put my money where my mouth is.