Itch for a 10-22

This is what we do.
Chere
B Poster
B Poster

Itch for a 10-22

Post by Chere »

Hi Friends,
Watched Top Gun the other night and got introduced to Volquartsen. The (blue) silhouette stock with thumb hole and snake fluted barrel sure looks tempting as a sometimes alternative to my Annie. Anyone have experience with this gun for Silhouette? How does one place an order?
Chere
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Itch for a 10-22

Post by Dee »

https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/46-top-shot-season-4

Retail $1,565.00

There ya go.

As far as I know they are usually all built up to whatever spec you want with the parts you want. They are nice but expect to end up spending a nice chuck of change for a super slick model. Many people just get the receiver and bolt, trigger unit etc from them and then get a barrel and furniture from their favorite manufacturer.

Would be fun to have on windy days for speed shooting but for that kind of $ I would be looking for a 54MS Standard rifle first :D

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Chere wrote:Hi Friends,
Watched Top Gun the other night and got introduced to Volquartsen. The (blue) silhouette stock with thumb hole and snake fluted barrel sure looks tempting as a sometimes alternative to my Annie. Anyone have experience with this gun for Silhouette? How does one place an order?
Chere

Haha! I was like... "Top Gun"??? Did Tom Cruise shoot a VQ in that movie that I don't remember??

Then I figured it out. Haha.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

They are fun to shoot and can be as accurate as our 54 action Annies. The only knock is lock time. I recommend you scratch the itch with a Clark mid weight barrel and a Kidd trigger. You have to get the Kidd trigger. None other will do. You can hop over to Clark's sight and order one ready to go. Or get really crazy and get a Pharr or Wooster stock and have yourself a speed hunter for those windy days.
- Joe
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I agree with Edge on the Kidd trigger.
Baby Huey
Chere
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Chere »

Wish I knew what I was doing. Too new to know anything about building a rifle. :oops: Would like it a little lighter than my Annie.
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Post by saikatana »

ANything 10/22 is usually addressed at Rimfirecentral.com
They have a section on actions, barrels, stocks, ultimate 10/22 and anything in between
I think the US nationals was won with a 10/22 built by KIdd before he became a big name.
Good Luck
Saikatana
Chere
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Chere »

Kidd sounds like the place to start.
Thanks! ^:)^
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Be careful in selecting the components because with a straight, no taper, barrel that is very common with aftermarket barrels, you will only be able to compete in standard class. I'd seriously consider Clark's medium weight barrel if I was building a 10-22, because it is tapered. Add in the aluminum receiver, composite stock and aluminum fire control you'll have a rifle lighter than a 1712.
- Joe
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Remember that semi autos hot throw brass at your neighbors :-o
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
Chere
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Chere »

edgehit wrote:Be careful in selecting the components because with a straight, no taper, barrel that is very common with aftermarket barrels, you will only be able to compete in standard class. I'd seriously consider Clark's medium weight barrel if I was building a 10-22, because it is tapered. Add in the aluminum receiver, composite stock and aluminum fire control you'll have a rifle lighter than a 1712.
Thanks, I need to know these things; in fact, I need all the help I can get. :-\
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

edgehit wrote:Be careful in selecting the components because with a straight, no taper, barrel that is very common with aftermarket barrels, you will only be able to compete in standard class. I'd seriously consider Clark's medium weight barrel if I was building a 10-22, because it is tapered. Add in the aluminum receiver, composite stock and aluminum fire control you'll have a rifle lighter than a 1712.
Kidd offers a taper barrel, he did one for me on a Kidd he built for me to compete in CMP .22. With a Hogue stock it will allow you to compete in both classes and the Kidd trigger is the best on the market.

As for the brass there are several ways to be 'competitor friendly' and not get into a hassle with your brass hitt the person next to you (sadly a lot of ranges do not take this into consideration) 1: cutting a gallon plastic milk corner off and using velcro to fasten to the action or 2) a piece of leather fastened over, with a bridge wire to hold it way from the port to do the same.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Post by saikatana »

I heard o fone guy who used a large aquarium fih net. Bent the handle to fit around the scope and placed the net end in front of the
ejection port. Empty at the end of the run
Saikatana
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Chere, Before you go spending a lot of money, SB Silhouette is not a 10/22 game. (Okay please don't come out of the woodwork and say Troy Lawton won a championship with one). You need to be more concerned with the ammo you going to use being accurate than if it will cycle the action.
You need a good bolt action accurate rifle, a repeatable scope, and ammo that can hold 1.00 at 100 meter for this sport period.
ppkny
Chere
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Chere »

ppkny wrote:Chere, Before you go spending a lot of money, SB Silhouette is not a 10/22 game. (Okay please don't come out of the woodwork and say Troy Lawton won a championship with one). You need to be more concerned with the ammo you going to use being accurate than if it will cycle the action.
You need a good bolt action accurate rifle, a repeatable scope, and ammo that can hold 1.00 at 100 meter for this sport period.
ppkny
Thank you so much. I do believe I have ammo and gun to fill the bill for that ppkny.
Looking at a 10/22 as an alternate for silhouette, and as a "fun" rifle for plinking and Friday night target shooting at the sportsmen's club.