CZ453 - need a review. Who's got their hands on one?

This is what we do.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

CZ453 - need a review. Who's got their hands on one?

Post by gunbits »

How's the trigger? Is she worth the wait?
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Far be it for me to post a conclusive review of the 453, but I do have on in my hands for a short duration and have handled several 452's and can make some valid comparisons. The 453 that I have belongs to one of my buddies that asked me to take it out to the range and put it through it's paces and see how "it stacks up". the 453 (at least the one in my hands now) is a bit better finished than the typical 452 that I have handled (a dozen or so belonging to gun club members and others). This example has a better overall finish (the barrel seems to be centered in the barrel channel and not touching as is the case with a lot of 452's) and it is free floated to within about 3 1/2 inches of the receiver. The bolt is typical CZ, rough and needing polishing/lapping with JB bore compound. The wood on this example is a little above board, but my buddy picked it out of several that the dealer had on stock. It shows good figure throughout and is overall very pleasing to the eye. The gun balances well with the balance point just ahead of the magazine well and has an overall "big boy rifle" feel to it, most likely due to the heavy taper barrel. The trigger is the big diference. From the diagrams in the manual it is a totally different animal, not only is it a "set" trigger (push the trigger forward to "set" it, reducing the pull weight to around a pound) but it is adjustable for weight of pull and sear engagement. In addition, the trigger "shoe" is wider than on a 452, reducing the apparent pull weight due to the spreading out of the force on the shoe surface. The trigger is somewhat of a dissapointment. Un set it has considerable creep as it comes from the factory and has the"dragging a dead possum over a gravel road feel" to it. Set, it still has some creep and a slight "crunchy" feel to it. Shoots like a typical CZ452, decent, but not on the scale of a more expensive Kimber or Anschutz. In this case, you get a good value for the money, but will have to "tune" it in order for it to run with the big dawgs, and even then it will not be a world beater. Good value for the money, the "set" trigger is not worth the premium as tuning the 452 trigger gives very acceptable results, your mileage may vary, etc. etc......In addition, and those with a rule book in hand please feel free to correct me, I don't think the "set" trigger is allowed in smallbore silhouette shooting.

John Neihouse
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Sighted the CZ 453 in tor a friend this weekend and had a chance to put around 200 rounds through it, both from the bench and offhand. In short, the trigger is a disappointment. Unset it is VERY heavy. Set it is, of course, lighter, but is still very "notchy, creepy, indecisive" pick your term. Of course it oculd most likely be adjusted but I didn't go into that, not my gun. I have a hunch that at best the set trigger will get the trigger to where the standard 452 is with an adjustable sear or the very inexpensiive Brooks kit. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary, etc, etc...

John
Commander in Chief, F Troop