Anschutz 2013 for silhouette?

This is what we do.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Anschutz 2013 for silhouette?

Post by Jason »

I have recently come into posession of an Anschutz 2013 through an impluse buy (ugh, yeah.. expensive impulse buy) with the intention of using it for our summer prone league and then selling it. It has occurred to me that it would be cool to make it into a silhouette rifle, even a hunter gun. I bet I could grab a barrel from Lilja and be in business. The 2013 action seems really heavy compared to the 1900 series, though. Anyone got experience turning a 2013 into a silhouette rifle? Chango/Hambone, don't you guys have silhouette rifles made from 2013s? I think I remember Hambone mentioning a switch barrel/trigger plan for a position/silhouette rifle, but I believe the 5022 trigger that was in that plan is now hanging on my highpower rifle. 8)
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Anschutz 2013 for silhouette?

Post by lone ringer »

Jason, several of my Mexican friends use the 2013 for silhouette shooting. Where you are going to have problems is with the stock since its very wide and nobody I know makes a stock for them. If you ask Steve Wooster he may be able to tell you if you can adapt on of his to the 2013.
One thing is for sure they are awesome shooters. I have used my friend's Carlos Gongora from Ensenada rifle several times and its a sweet shooting rifle.
What Carlos had to do on his rifles ( yes he has more than one 2013 for himself and his sons) was buy McMillan bench rest stocks and had to modify the stock's forend to comply with our rules. I have one of those McMillan stocks I bought for him in Benchrest central that he has not picked up yet in case you want to see pictures of it.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Thanks for the info, Tony. I'm looking for pictures that Hambone had posted of his rifle. I thought his was bedded into a Pharr stock.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Found the pictures...

The Cuban Santa comes through

Looks like Evelio got around the 4-bolt situation with two extra holes drilled and tapped into the bottom of the action.
hambone49
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Location: In memory of Tbone, I moved into his house in Hollywood, Florida

Post by hambone49 »

Jason, I know you have my trigger..I still believe the hunter/standard 2013 is doable and we were going to turn down a stock barrel to make it happen; It was just the idea of switching around during a match that was daunting and I already have a pretty good Frankenhunter. I did use it in Jacksonville in standard but had the the trigger set like my prone rifle and suffered a bunch of premature triggulation and went back to my hunter.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I am not intending to do a hunter/standard switch gun. I'm intending to do a hunter rifle that I can also shoot in our informal summer prone any sight matches. I shoot those with a scope anyway, so I wouldn't need to swap out the barrel and would probably just do all shooting with the rifle with the same hunter (22oz/10oz) trigger setting. I'd just be moving the barreled action over to the other stock for those matches. I mostly want a rifle that will be a really good silhouette rifle and an acceptable (i.e.- better than my skill) prone rifle. I'm just worried about using so much in the action compared to the 1900 series actions, since I'll be using the same trigger and bolt either way. Are there weights posted online or available anywhere for the different actions (1700, 1800, 1900, 2000)? I have to say that I'm really loving the idea of being able to swap barrels around later if I want to.

I'll make more progress on the decision once I've had a chance to shoot it with a variety of ammo. I don't want to do all of that and then find out I'm losing too much potential barrel weight by choosing that 2013 action instead of a 1900 series action.
chango2013
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chango2013 »

Jason
i made the stock for my 2013 in fiberglass and leave the 4 screws of the action (i made a copy of the Mcmillan thumbhole stock)
the stock is very ligth to make weigth for Std 1.5 pounds
mine have the 500mm barrel and the contour is not legal for Hunter
i think the action is to heavy for Hunter class
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

So, I have an Anschutz 2007/2013 I bought on an impulse. I shot it some and now it's currently for sale, but I'm also considering building it into a silhouette rifle. You know, just because... So, I'm wondering if anyone ever did make the 20xx into a hunter rifle?
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

Also, does anyone know the weight of the 19xx, 18xx, or 17xx action?

The 20xx action weights 2 pounds 10 ounces. So, it would be possible to make weight for Hunter class if you had all the lightest parts to go along with it.