CZ 452 Silhouette Accuracy Tuning

This is what we do.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: CZ 452 Silhouette Accuracy Tuning

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Transmission fluid is NOT an oil its hydraulic fluid. Do not use it. It will most likely eat your stock.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Another Dang 9 wrote:Transmission fluid is NOT an oil its hydraulic fluid. Do not use it. It will most likely eat your stock.
ATF seems like an odd choice all around to prep threads for torquing, since it's also used in the recipe for "Ed's Red", a fairly potent cleaning solution. Is it intended as a degreaser? If so, it has residual lubricity (it's role in Ed's Red) that will interfere with getting an accurate torque value.

I'm struggling to understand the intent.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

In heavy mechanics, there are O.E.M recommendations for torquing up bolts. Sometimes they are listed as "lubricated" torque values, sometimes dry, sometimes there will be a value for each. I've usually found that it starts applying to large diameter bolts and high torque values, talking 1000+ ft/lb here. The amount of friction generated at these values and in the large sizes of threads involved usually dictates lubricated assembly to stop chattering and false values.
Maybe that is where this idea is coming from but I doubt that it is required for doing up action screws in rifles at the small torque values we are talking about.
Taps
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Taps wrote:In heavy mechanics, there are O.E.M recommendations for torquing up bolts. Sometimes they are listed as "lubricated" torque values, sometimes dry, sometimes there will be a value for each. I've usually found that it starts applying to large diameter bolts and high torque values, talking 1000+ ft/lb here. The amount of friction generated at these values and in the large sizes of threads involved usually dictates lubricated assembly to stop chattering and false values.
Maybe that is where this idea is coming from but I doubt that it is required for doing up action screws in rifles at the small torque values we are talking about.
I'm guessing it came from that but then got applied incorrectly to guns.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Thanks for the information!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
David M R
B Poster
B Poster

Post by David M R »

If you look around enough, you will find it recommended to torque action screws clean and dry.

If they were supposed to be lubed, it would be part of the spec.

Truck wheels like BUDD say lube the threads, not the ball seat. Engine head bolts get lubed.

Its a rifle, not an exhaust manifold.

My opinion: New rifles like Anschutz recommend up to 35 inch pounds for non bedded action. With 2 of mine, It took a couple times at "full torque" for the action to fit to the wood best. I think it compresses some of the small stuff, and after a short while, it fits much better. They also recommend start at 20 and work your way up to what ever shoots best with 35 the max. I use a torque driver. They shoot well at 35, so I keep them there.

David
pbansen
B Poster
B Poster

Post by pbansen »

MRH1958 wrote:I have only fired at at 25 yds so far for accuracy with Wolf MT,accuracy seems ok with some groups at 1/4" at this distance,some were larger,my question,is there any accuracy improvements I should try? I have only cleaned up the crown a bit to remove a tiny nick that was there from the factory,set the torque on the rear action screw at 14 in lbs,front screw at 10 in lbs,any suggestions appreciated.
I have a 452 Style and my torque settings are not much different than that - I think I'm at 16 and 12 and arrived at that by shooting groups and changing the settings until I had consistent, tight groups. My gun is OK with Wolf, likes Eley Target pretty well and does very well with CCI Standard Velocity. I do not lube the action screws with anything. Don't know what my group sizes are at 25 yards; I generally shoot groups at 50 yards off a rest and practice offhand with a spinner at 50 yards or with silhouettes at their respective distances.

Sounds like you have an excellent setup that will be a lot of fun to shoot!! :-bd
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Another Dang 9 wrote:Transmission fluid is NOT an oil its hydraulic fluid. Do not use it. It will most likely eat your stock.
I have been using Mobil1, SYNTHETIC transmission fluid[LUBRICANT] for all moving parts and have NO issues. I have no galling issues plus there is consistent torque on both screws. My action screw threads are very LIGHTLY lubricated..some use grease. The nice thing too, is, Synthetic transmission fluid does NOT attract dirt. My CZ is 6 years old with 15,000+ rounds. The action screw torquing is checked periodically at 24 inch pounds, on my free floated American.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I have discovered that removing and replacing my CZ455 with an Anschutz 1712 really helped my scores. \m/
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

DavidABQ wrote:I have discovered that removing and replacing my CZ455 with an Anschutz 1712 really helped my scores. \m/
Wondering how did it help your scores?
Trigger? Overall fit? Confidence in the rifle?

Thanks
Chuck
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

For me it was the balance point and the fit of the rifle to a great degree. The trigger took me a while to get used to.