CZ 452 Silhouette Accuracy Tuning

This is what we do.
MRH1958
B Poster
B Poster

CZ 452 Silhouette Accuracy Tuning

Post by MRH1958 »

I recently set up my 452 Silhouette for silhouette shooting,got the trigger down to 2 lbs and installed a Weaver KT15 in BKL high rings,I have only fired at at 25 yds so far for accuracy with Wolf MT,accuracy seems ok with some groups at 1/4" at this distance,some were larger,my question,is there any accuracy improvements I should try? I have only cleaned up the crown a bit to remove a tiny nick that was there from the factory,set the torque on the rear action screw at 14 in lbs,front screw at 10 in lbs,any suggestions appreciated.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: CZ 452 Silhouette Accuracy Tuning

Post by cedestech »

Try Eley. Some 452 don't like Sk. Careful groups at 25 yards should be a fuzzy hole.

If your objective does't adjust down to 25 yards you may be fighting parrelax.

When you find a ammo that shoots well play with action screw torque till you find a setting that makes the smallest groups.

See the CZ group at RFC, lots of info there.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

That's a really solid setup! Action bolt torque sounds light, but otherwise everything sounds great. How is the barrel channel? CZ Silhouette's I'm familiar with had very flexible forearms that liked to flex into the barrel, so bench bags had to stay between the front action screw and trigger guard. And yes, experiment with different ammunition.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
MRH1958
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MRH1958 »

Parallax adjusts down to 10 yds and I set it before shooting, and it was a bit windy that day now that I think about it.......the barrel doesnt float at all on this rifle
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

It sounds like youve got a good setup. I had a 452 silhouette model with a V16 and it shot well right out of the box. You should be shooting some ragged hole groups at 25 yds. I'm concerned about what you did to eliminate the nick on the muzzle. But most likely you need to work on bench technique, like the location of bags under the action screw.

Start shooting all your groups at 100m if you can. And take notes on wind direction, temperature and ammunition choice. When you're done shooting groups at 100, dial in your 25yd or 40m elevation setting and shoot at the short line to see how the wind effected windage setting. This will help you understand how wind effects 22 ballistics on a given day.

Lastly, you ought to test yourvscope's turret repeat ability by shooting box tests. If its tight, your first group and the last should be in the exact same location. Dont be surprised if the box looks like a parallelogram, especially at 100m. Main thing is that it comes back to zero.
- Joe
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Don't even bother with groups under 100 meters when you do ammo tests. Many groups go bad between the turkeys and rams.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Set the action screws between 18-22 in lbs. You have it too light.

Adjust and shoot 2 groups. Then adjust again. Shoot between 50-100yds to determine settings.. Your groups will tell you what they like.
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

Hey guys don't mean to hijack thread, but if stock is pillar bedded, and floated, does the torque strings still have to be played with? Also what about on a pharr or wooster stock that has the aforementione ? Thanks
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Hawk-1 wrote:Hey guys don't mean to hijack thread, but if stock is pillar bedded, and floated, does the torque strings still have to be played with? Also what about on a pharr or wooster stock that has the aforementione ? Thanks
This will start another fight! My two cents is that pillar bedded rifles are much less sensitive to torque, but the they need enough to hold things together but not so much that stress is introduced into the stock or action.
- C.S. Lewis
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

If bedded, I've read that the torqued boots are less. Again, torque and shoot a group
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

Thanks, that is exactly what I've found with mine. I do tighten my front screw tighter than the rear. That its the only thing that seems to make much difference.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Okay, what oil or grease are you using on both Action Screws, b/4 torquing for best accuracy? I use Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

teetertotter wrote:Okay, what oil or grease are you using on both Action Screws, b/4 torquing for best accuracy? I use Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid.
Why do you use transmission fluid on your action screws?

I have never put anything on mine. I have never heard of doing that. I don't know of any shooter that puts any type of oil on the action screws of any rifle.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Ken, I am looking for responses from the pros in the know? Bringing up the torque issue. :roll: Not just hearsay that the screw threads should be dry, that has been handed down over the years. I periodically reset my action screw torque settings. Maybe there are some gunsmiths that will chime in on dry vs lube threads before torquing.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Mechanics often use anti-seize before torquing bolts, but it's more common to clean and de-grease action bolts before torquing them.
- C.S. Lewis