What's best.....?

This is what we do.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

What's best.....?

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Is it best to break your shot as close to the center mass of the animal as possible, or to pick another aiming point, like the feet of the chickens and between the legs of the pigs, and adjust your sights to hit the center of the animal? I've been conducting a face-to-face survey at my last two matches....running about 50/50. What's your choice, and why? I'm practicing both methods dri-firing and air gun, and I seem to break my shots with more authority using the alternative point method..... (don't have enough guts to try it in a match yet, :D )
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: What's best.....?

Post by dustinflint »

My opinion - and others will surely disagree but this is what I learned from excellent local shooters when I started: You have to shoot at spots to consistantly shoot good scores in this game. Shooting at legs and holes in the animal is a good idea in calm conditions but you are going to be in trouble when you're shooting in changing wind conditions.

I ALWAYS shoot at a spot, and the spot is determined by what my spotter tells me to correct for the wind conditions. I prefer for Jerry (my spotter) to simply tell me the spot I'm trying to hit, and I try to hit it. Ito doesn't matter to me whether I'm shooting chickens, pigs, turkeys or rams, I'm always aiming at spots on the amimal.

Take that however you like, if something else works better for you, go with that. This seems to work for us and I think it's a good way to learn. (I shot my first silhouette match in June 2011 and started by aiming at spots. Within a year I was Master in Smallbore Standard, Smallbore Hunter, Sporter air rifle, Target air rifle, Open air rifle, Smallbore Cowboy rifle and Cowboy Lever Action. Now, exactly two years into it, I usually shoot high master scores in all of those.)

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dustin, OO shoots in some of the best conditions in the country. Not unusual to find the spot type shooting he refers to in WA, although I agree that this can cause problems in any weather conditions including mirage. I have learned to coach and shoot spots but going for specific holes such as between the legs, in the horns etc. is good for training to hold in a small group, but difficult to shoot in any conditions outside of what you normally get in WA.

Spot shooting is a great way to shoot if you have a good spotter for conditions, and there is a strong trust between you and the spotter.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Ah, I see; I think what I'm hearing is that in windy conditions, it's better to "spot shoot," because it's easier to hold off (just change spots)....... based on the advice of your spotter and wind clues...... Didn't think about that... Of course, if you're shooting at a chicken's leg, and the wind is coming from the left, you could just hold to left of the chicken's leg. But I see what you mean, DustinFlint, I see what you mean....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I need to go out to my mailbox with a magic marker and dot some spots on my spotless dri-fire animals! Lol.....
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I don't think you'd have much problem shooting at the leg of the chicken because in most of all but the worst conditions you're not going to have to worry about being to one side or the other of a chicken because they're so close (I'm assuming we're talking about smallbore; that statement does NOT apply to Target air rifle or Highpower). On chickens, I usually try to find a dimple or a paint speck near the center to aim at. The bottom line is that you have to aim at something much smaller than the whole target shoot good scores consistently. If you shoot in mostly calm conditions, aiming at the leg of the chickens and turkeys and the legs hole of the pigs might work well for you (what are you going to aim at for the ram?)

I agree with Mary that you need to trust your spotter to shoot like I've described. I have one of the best spotters in the business who knows me very very well and can make adjustments for me based on one shot. He can also read conditions. Also, at our local matches most all of our shooter/spotter teams focus a lot on spotting. Several of us have the same style so we're comfortable spotting for one another.

As far as marking your dry-fire targets, I suggest drawing a dot about 1MOA in the center of each one and try to hit that dot on every shot. I bet your scores will improve if you practice like that consistently.

Dustin
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

On the Rams, several good shooters at P.E. say they dial a minute and a half, or two minutes low, and then rest the horizontal cross hair on the ram's back.....
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Mel, In your conditions I would pick a spot in the largest mass of the animal (ex. pigs in the shoulder) and hold for that spot. When you develop a working relationship with your spotter (your wife), learning to read conditions is a fine art and can be done. Pair up with your scope behind some of your great teams, (Eric/Laura, Dennis...etc) and listen and watch what they are doing. Although unpopular because of the volume, Teresa E and William Z are great to watch and listen to for learning the conditions. Dustin has a great spotter in Jerry T, I have worked with him many times, it is a shame that we don;t live closer as I have always worked well with Jerry. Bear in mind that you also need to walk the ranges, many have wind tunnels that are not visible from the firing line, especially Brunswick GA, and Raton smallbore. Ridgway PA also has an interesting layout at the turkey line that can cause some challenging conditions in mild storms. While you may not think that little things can make a difference, look at the wind effects caused by a hot shower running on a light shower curtain. Even that little stream at PeEll can cause temperature changes which will make winds do interesting things between you and the target.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I have trouble just staying on the animals. I wish I was good enough to pick out spots, but I wobble too much. :oops:
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Pick an Animal Spot

Post by teetertotter »

Oklahoma Jim wrote:I have trouble just staying on the animals. I wish I was good enough to pick out spots, but I wobble too much. :oops:
Too Funny Jim. This is an informative topic.

I have lots of wobble, too. I might go to the range once a week to practice, as if a match, during the summer. We have matches every Thursday evening during our summers with an NRA Tournament once a month from May thru Sept. It is a fun sport for me and I help where I can. I love the Challenge!

With that said, my same spot is the center of the body mass OR near there, on all our white animals, in NO wind conditions. I adjust left or right on our range cross wind, the best I can. I'm 72 and took up the sport when 66....something like that. There are so many facets to this sport, like golf..... with good days and bad days.

One thing I can tell you, I am really good sighting in my rifle off sand bags. :mrgreen:
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I'll chime in... I'm a AAA shooter that randomly shoots a master score if I'm having a good day.

Like most people I have varying degrees of wobble depending on conditions and my particular circumstances that morning.

I rarely am able to "hold on the animal" AND "break the trigger". One or the other but not both.

I tend to try to be consistent about breaking the trigger as I get into the animal which generally works for me.

My SOP is coming in from the top of the animal though if it's windy it is usually from the side.

A very good shooter who's advise I respect said being active on the trigger is important. Knowing when to break it is as important as where.

Not all of us are blessed with granite holds.... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

cedestech wrote:I'll chime in...
I tend to try to be consistent about breaking the trigger as I get into the animal which generally works for me.
Yes, that describes me in wobble/timing to break the trigger. B/C I don't have a routine practice schedule, I have not thought about concentrating on the wobble and the consistency it MIGHT have, for the timing to break the shot. [No Wind] On that note, perhaps I'd better figure out my pattern of wobble, to know when to break the shot. Maybe too, the wobble might not be always the same, but will check it out. :) Jon
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Toms
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Toms »

One thing to remember we will shoot inside our wobble area so work on hold and natural point of aim. As this progresses you will be able too aim at center of target and progress to aiming at spots on targets. This is developed by lots and lots of practice. Be positive. Do your best and make your best better. Don't worry about the other shooters. I shot with the attitude I may be outshot but I will not be out funned. Enjoy the sport. It doesn't pay enough to go home mad. Take care and HAPPY NEW YEARS too all.
Tom Spriggs
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Damn Tom, I didn't know you were still around. At the next shoot, I'm taking the little guy off your spotting scope. =))
Toms
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Toms »

I just had hip replacement sugary about 4 weeks ago. Healing well. I seem to maybe be free of back pain. If so I will be working at getting back into shooting silhouettes. Have start all over. Unlike some I will still be AAA and Master classes. Maybe see you at the range.
Tom