AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

wow that is really bad lock time. hehehehhe
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 1armoured »

I've owned and used many rifles in many disciplines, over the years.

I've found the Anschutz 54.18 and 1420, 1422 and 1700 series more forgiving of my movement, shakes, flinch, trigger jerk, shooting with the eyes closed, holding my breath,...and all my other faults.

You've got to put this down to exceptional lock time.
I wouldn't look any further.
And my 1712 with the shorter barrel gives good barrel time as well,
as did my 54.18 with the shorter barrel than standard.

Something no-one appears to have mentioned is the 'firing pin strike' force.
The 54.18 appears to have minimal strike force required, and the ability to adjust the spring tension, at the rear of the bolt, to lessen any possible 'jar' movement imparted by the firng pin spring striking the cartridge rim.
The 1700 series, as a sporter action, doesn't, and has a much more positive strike, but you can always take out a few coils, or change the spring, if you want to reduce this.

This may slow the 'lock time' a little, but might improve accuracy, with a good hold.

I have a Weihrauch HW66, built around their sporter action that has a 'King' hit and have chopped a couple coils off the fp spring. Still gives it a much harder whack than the Anschutz, and slower lock-time overall, but she looks good, so I persevere !,
as I do with my wimen, likker and hosses !

cheers,
Sean in 'Godzone'
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

So far, a lot of yacketty-yak, but nobody has produced an answer.

Sigh... 2 miliseconds. :twisted:
Joaquin B
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

LOCKTIME

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

As far as 22 LR actions, the Rem. 540 or 541 have the fastest lock time followed by the Annie 54.18, we are talking milliseconds in difference.
My personal opinion, is that in this game accuracy is paramount to lock time.
Evelio.
Evelio
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Here is some information taken from the Internet. Remember, the Internet is not to be considered a reliable source. If I can find the time to research more reliable sources I will post the information.

Winchester 70 3.0ms with standard 23-pound firing pin spring
Winchester 70 2.3s with 30-pound spring
Winchester 70 1.8s with a titanium firing pin
Remington's 700 2.5 ms lock time with their 26-lb. firing pin spring.
Remington 700 2.0 ms with 32-lb. spring
Remington 700 1.6ms with titanium firing pin
Ruger M77s have about 3.4 ms
Paramount 1.3 ms lock time with their 55-lb. spring
Anschutz 1400 2.3 ms.
Anschutz 1800 1.7 ms.
Anschutz 2000 1.5 ms
Mauser '98 4 to 5 ms
Springfield 1903 4 to 5 ms.
Remington 700 ElectronX 27 microseconds = 0.27ms
SWING 1.24 ms

Note the Anschutz information but nothing on the Remington 540/541/581 as yet
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Oops. Read twice, post once! Thanks to Joaquin B!
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: LOCKTIME

Post by GeoNLR »

Evelio Mc Donald wrote:As far as 22 LR actions, the Rem. 540 or 541 have the fastest lock time followed by the Annie 54.18, we are talking milliseconds in difference.
My personal opinion, is that in this game accuracy is paramount to lock time.
Evelio.
I don't know if this has been said, Forgive me if so.... To go along with E... I have hear this from many of the 'greats' (In my opinion)

22 Rimfire = "Barrel Time"

High Power = "Lock Time"

What wins the game is "Dwell Time" on the target due to things like proper NPA, proper equipment, properly set up equipment, solid basics, etc.

I know most call "dwell time" the time the bullet spend exerting it's Entergy onto the target, I like to think of it in terms of the time we can "Dwell" on the target with or reticule. One time a friend of mine asked Troy Lawton what he saw when he was shooting the chickens.... "Do you see the dot coming into the animal from left to right, top to bottom, etc."...Troy - "I see a chicken with a dot on it". That may be a slight overstatement but you get the point. For those that disagree, there have been many that have told me about Tubb back when he played the game... I have been told (that it was witnessed) that he could set up on an animal with out his finger in the trigger guard and signal Zander (I THINK that was who it was??) to pull the trigger when he wanted to and ~Ping~ the animal went down.

My point? Lock time, barrel time, etc. it doesn't matter if we can't break the shot while on the animal. "Dang I missed, but man can you believe the lock time?" Let me know if you have ever heard that on the line...

Chicken
Image Chicken George
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 1armoured »

The original lock in 'lock time' hails from the old matchlock, wheel lock and flint lock days, when you could measure it in seconds, (maybe minutes), so a good steady hold was paramount.

I've always tried to time my trigger release with a 'dwell' on the target,

but not easy to do on a windy day, or on 'less than steady' days.

I guess the ultimate is in managing your 'wobble' area, with the ability to hold on a silhouette sized target, and release as you dwell in the centre,
but in my mind, for myself as a less than superhuman shooter, anticipation and reflexes as the dot/crosshair comes into the target, (with some semblance of follow through, so you don't fly off the target), seems to be more applicable.

I did read somewhere that Tubb generally released the trigger as he edged into his target POA, from the left.

cheers,
Sean in 'Godzone'
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Chicken George does not know it but he just invented a new team competition that is better than his Tres Banditos contest: team shoots consisting of one person holding the rifle on target, second person pulling the trigger, and third person scoring/spotting. I suggest we have the standard 2 and 1/2 minutes to shoot 5 targets. Most of us should probably shoot only pigs using this method or it could take us too long to determine a winner.

Bobby R. Huddleston