LOCK TIME

This is what we do.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

LOCK TIME

Post by shakes »

Here's my question to all of you. Which action do you believe to have the fastest lock time. My purpose is I plan on building a custom gun and would like to hear some thoughts as to which is the best action. I think I might have just opened a can of worms :twisted:
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

The fact that I don't know the answer has never discouraged me from replying to questions like this.
I think I've seen that the Anschutz 54 is fairly competitive in this area even though it is a relatively old design. I seem to recall that the Sako has excellent locktime although, some say, problems in other areas. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Remington is first-rate. That's true of the 700 centerfire action.
And then, there are always the benchrest actions, some of recent design.
I wonder whether locktime is of less importance in a rimfire where the bullet is in the barrel for quite a while anyway? Isn't "decent" locktime around 5 milliseconds and the bullet moving through the barrel at least twice that? Not sure, just asking.
This is a great reminder for us all to work on the follow-through.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

lock time

Post by Jerry G »

Lock time is important. Shoot a Flint Lock, a Cap and Ball, then a modern rifle. There is a noticable difference between a 10/22 and an Anchutz but don't overlook barrel length. In a rimfire, anything over 18" is a waste of steel.

I have heard that the 541 Remington is a very fast action but I have never owned one.
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Evelio or Marvin may want to jump in here but I think both the 64 and 54
actions are pretty fast . There are also benefits of the Anschutz actions
for our game over custom actions or a 40x as far as stiffness, triggers,
magazine-fed , weight and probably a few others as well as some excellent gunsmiths who have an intimate working knowledge of
Anschutz and the concerns of silhouette shooters.
Something that also should not be overlooked is training. A few milliseconds faster locktime is nothing if we can't develop proper shot
execution.
Andrew Patchett
Koldkut
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Koldkut »

okay, newb here, what's lock time?
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Andrew, Lock time is the period of time it takes for the firing mechanism to get to the primer and fire the cartridge. In other words from the time the sear is released until the gun goes BANG.

Kevin
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Here is what I want to say about lock time.

In some instances, the period of time the cross hairs remain on the target is fractions of a second. Lock time becomes a factor when the cross hairs are only on the target for a split second. The trigger will also have something to do with this situation and Anschutz have incredable triggers.

I consider building a good silhouette gun, like building a race car. You take a very good chassis and begin to work on all the little things that give you that .1 second advantage. Building a good silhoutte gun you start with a very stiff everything, barrel, action, stock. This gives the accuracy. Then you tweek the trigger, get good lock time (speed) to get those few extra targets you might be missing.

Lastly, the better your equipment, the more confidence you will have on the firing line which improves your mental state. At least it does for me.

Just a new shooters perspective.
tim
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Shakes and Timfinle
I read with interest the threads on instinctive shooting styles with 10/22,
the recent 1712FWT thread and this one. There may be custom actions
which may have lock times faster than production guns and there may be
production actions which have better or faster lock times than others.
The unfortunate thing is that that feature must not be considered in isolation because in the process of shot execution it does not act in
isolation. The quality of the trigger,barrel and the firing system or bolt
have to be considered. Then there are the human factors and our ability to train and learn the mechanics of the firearm in being able to execute a shot in a timely fashion.
Another thing you may want to consider is the almost universal use of certain firearm or action types by many of the top shooters in the sport.
Cathy W uses a 1712FWT in factory stock configuration, from my recollection at the Canadian Nationals 2-3 years ago.As do many other
top shooters.
The well known gunsmiths who build the guns for our sport I believe
choose Anschutz 54 and 17xx series actions because these already have
the best combination of features which are condusive to top performance
in silhouette. Why try to reinvent the wheel?
Tim
I see you have chosen a 1712 and I think you might be more rewarded
by training and ingraining some techniques for better shot execution when
you receive your completed rifle. The rifle will do the job !!
Respectfully
Andrew Patchett
Last edited by dryfire on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Actually, locktime is the duration from sear release to firing pin strike,
ignition time is the time for full ignition of the primer and main charge
and then ... the barrel time which is the longest duration is that for the
bullet travel in the barrel. After the bullet leaves the barrel is when the gun goes BANG. Yes these are critical but, developing good followthrough technique is far more critical for our sport.
All the best with your dryfiring.
Dryfire
Last edited by dryfire on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kahuna
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kahuna »

Remington 541, 540.
Anschutz 1800, 1900.With wolf spring kits.
Anschutz 1700 i'm not sure where it lands in this issue,
But that is what I'm shooting with a wolf spring in it.
Larry
N.R.A. Life member
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
The fastest lock time on any Silhouette rifle ever produced was on a KRICO 540. These where fired electronically by arching across to the rim to fire. The lock time was so fast that it couldn't be measured. This was in the 80's so now they possibly could.
I've used one (not mine) and it's seems funny having to "turn on" your rifle, but they are as much fun as any other toy you turn on lol.
The rifle in question ended up scraped due to problems with the electronics ( mainly the battery going flat to quick) and to be honest I don't know if the bloke still has it.
Any way not much help on your custom quest but the 540 did and to the best of my knowledge still has the fastest lock time.
Incidently I had a Krico 340 (normal model) for many years and it was pretty good.
Juddy
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Andrew,

I agree 100 percent, as my post stated, you need all the componets and lock time is one of the componets that gives you that .1 (race car example). Without the chassis, areo and suspension componets the .1 you get does not help when you are are already .5 behind.

All the little pieces help, when working together, to give a person confidence. Confidence is critical (at least to me), then I just consintrate on each trigger pull. I travel alot for business and only get to practice a few times a month. Because of this I know my shooting will plateau quickly. Lesson might be in order and more shooting if I can find the time. Part of the reason I want a custom hunter gun is to use it more when I am shooting competively. Twice the rounds will help.
tim
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Cathy's lock time on her Annie this weekend was quite long on some shots, so long in fact she ended up shooting a borrowed rifle and another manufacturers ammo. She still hung in there and beat us.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Mary do you mean that her lock time still was waiting when she got home???

Kevin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Kevin,
Yes, it is still waiting.

M
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.