No votes
Ruger 77/22
No votes

Total votes: 16

nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

What I see on our ranges around here is a mix of wood and plastic.

I think that the best thing that you can do is follow Imas' suggestion: You need to handle a few of the different versions and decide which YOU prefer.

In the final analysis, unless you either buy a 1712 or go whole hog and build (or have Mark or Marvin build for you) a rifle, anything else will be so similar in capability that it will come down to your individual taste.

To paraphrase AJJ:
As you approach the point where have a stateroom on the top deck and you eat at the captain's table, you need the very best attire.
While you're down here with the rest of us, you can get by pretty well in jeans and any resonably clean shirt! :wink:
E Kuney
Diamond Paul
B Poster
B Poster

Can you elaborate on the 1712fwt please (another newbie)?

Post by Diamond Paul »

:shock: :shock: Wow, was I surprised to read one of the previous replies about the 1712fwt. Are you telling me that the one Champion's Choice is selling is not actually produced by Anschutz? They are just taking the barreled action out of the wood stock and bedding it in the McMillan? Is that what I read? I ask this because I just ordered one, with what appears to be a really cool tan and green stock, with the 2-stage trigger, for what seemed a pretty good price to me (and, believe me, I have done some serious researching on this matter). Anyone care to comment on the quality of the bedding jobs coming out of CC? Am I just being paranoid here? I am getting a real model offered by Anschutz, am I not? :shock: By the way, which rings and bases will I need to mount a B&L 6-24 and keep it at 1.5" above the receiver? Also, I'd like the total gun weight to be just a gnat's ass below legal allowable (in regards to rings and bases). Thanks. By the way, I think you should go whole hog and buy the Anschutz!
"Learn to shoot on your hind legs, like a man."
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

The journey continues...

Post by LH2 »

nomad wrote: To paraphrase AJJ:
As you approach the point where have a stateroom on the top deck and you eat at the captain's table, you need the very best attire.
While you're down here with the rest of us, you can get by pretty well in jeans and any resonably clean shirt! :wink:
A CZ 452 Style is on it's way.

I heard tons of positive feedback about the CZ. It was pretty much either go with the CZ or spend an extra grand on the 1712. The hardware isn't gonna make enough difference for me anytime soon anyhow.

I'll put a good scope on it, get a trigger job and get started.

As far as glass, if I don't want to spend Leupold money, sounds like Bushnell 3200/4200 or Sightron S2 are popular choices.

Can somebody explain the importance of good rings? What's the difference between basic rings and the pricey ones like BKL?

Thanks! 8)
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

If you use cheap rings that are machined off center and you torque the scope tube, you can cause BIG problems internally -- especially in repeatability. (If you really get carried away, you can cause failures.)

Look at the Burris signature rings with the inserts. They aren't all that costly, they self-adjust to fit the tube and they don't mark up or beat up your scope. Plus, if you go with the limited travel scopes like one of the 6-24X 4200s -- which are excellent optics but have only about 26 moa of total W&E adjustment -- you can get the offset insert kit to solve any alignment problems that you may face. The Burris rings are heavy...but that isn't something that you need to be concerned about on that rifle.

BTW, I haven't seen them but I understand that the 6-24X 4200 is coming out in a new model. Shorter and with side focus. Maybe lighter? Might have more W&E travel? You might want to check them out. I've heard availability is scheduled for about now...but that's always questionable.
E Kuney
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Check the tech articles.

Post by Jetmugg »

You might want to check out the articles on scope slope. If you get the correct setup, you can ensure that your scope stays approximately in the center of it's range of adjustability. That will help with repeatability and accuracy. Scopes tend to be less repeatable when they are at the limits of their adjustability.

Definitely check out Eric Brooks' site for CZ 452 stuff. I've got his trigger kit, scope mounting blocks, and a set of Burris Signature Zee rings which allow customization of the slope and/or lateral offset. He also stocks BKL stuff.

People rave about Marvin Pearson's mounts and rings. They are the Mercedes Benz of rings.

SteveM.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

I just called Bushnell about the 'new' 4200s. They don't know anything about them!
Don't you just LOVE marketing? :roll:
E Kuney
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'd skip the trigger kit from Eric Brooks if I were you. I started with it, but the adjustable sear from Automated Solutions ($60 or so) for the CZ 452 is MUCH better. An even better solution is the replacement trigger group from Timney. They already have one out for the 452's in 22 Mag and 17HMR. The one for the 22lr and 17M2 should be out in the next couple of weeks.
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Post by LH2 »

Jason wrote:I'd skip the trigger kit from Eric Brooks if I were you. I started with it, but the adjustable sear from Automated Solutions ($60 or so) for the CZ 452 is MUCH better. An even better solution is the replacement trigger group from Timney. They already have one out for the 452's in 22 Mag and 17HMR. The one for the 22lr and 17M2 should be out in the next couple of weeks.
Is the Timney group a b*tch to install? I thought there was a thread on RFC about it.

How about the adj sear from Automated Solutions, easy install? I'm no gunsmith, I need something pretty idiot-proof. :lol:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The Timney trigger will be easy to install once they get the right one out. Their tech support is great, too. The problems that everyone was having installing them was because Timney used a 17HMR to design the trigger and didn't know the magnum-length (17HMR and 22Mag) actions had longer sears than the standard length (17M2 and 22LR) actions. Timney is trying to get the design changed to fit the shorter actions and get them out to customers right now.

The adjustable sear wasn't that bad, actually. It was easier to me than installing the brass shims from the kit from Eric Brooks. There's one little steel ball that you're going to have to deal with with either of those, and that's the royal pain for both.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

my 2 cents

Post by silhouette13 »

i know bolt actions are the way to go, but i really like break action single shots :shock:

i shoot a t/c contender rifle 23" match chamber that shoots under 1/2 moa with the right ammo plenty accurate for a ham fisted punter like me to shoot silo

i also like the fact that i shoot the same rig big bore for hunting bear/deer makes me more comfy in both situations

on a last note for me the break and removal of the spent case helps me reset my shot sequence and throw out my thoughts on the last shot with the case.

an american rig for under 550 with a decent trigger plenty of accuracy and a heap of versitility.

moral minority in a bolt actioned world :wink: