SB Silhouette Range Vandalism

This is what we do.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

SB Silhouette Range Vandalism

Post by teetertotter »

Yesterday, I traveled to one of our club members fabrication business to pick up replacement swingers. We have permanent structures at each distance, which to hang each swinging animal for practice. These swingers stay out there all the time for club member use. We also have welded steel animals in an outside bin, which club members can use to set up.

Anyway, I left with the new replacement swingers and headed to the Beloit Rifle Club. Upon walking out to the PIG stands, it was completely destroyed. Three banks of 10 pigs.....Destroyed. Our club Pres. and maintenance supervisor happened to be in the indoor range scrounging around. We could see no evidence how this was done. The ground is frozen and had to have been done in the past 2 weeks.

I was just sick and this is what a club member does to our/his property? We are a gated private club with swipe card access.
Three years ago, we completely renovated all our stands that originated in 1977. This Spring, our maintenance crew will fix the PIG stands and make new again. There are all kinds of destructive people in this world as do not have anything better to do.
Whatever was used, must have suffered damage b/c frontal of the stands was 1/4" 2X3 angle iron was used to protect the 4X4's front from lead. The angle iron was heavily creased in one spot, which was thus torn off and laying on the ground. Wood chips went flying over the 5 foot sand berm. Unreal. Taking pictures this week to show at next months club meeting.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: SB Silhouette Range Vandalism

Post by malinois »

So they were not shot up.... what did they do drive over it with a tank ? Must have been some club menber that could not hack it and was pissed off at the animals..
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Teetertotter: You say the club is gated and a card must be swiped for access. Does this gate have a memory so you can check back and see who has been at the club in the last two weeks? If the damage was done by a truck, check the members and see who has a truck that could have done this despicable act. I don't belong to your club, but it infuriates me that there are some people who have no regard for property of others. Maybe if you offer some kind of reward, someone will come forward with a name. Good Luck!

Jim
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Range vandalism and theft is not new.Matter of fact it seems to be on purpose and directed at shooting clubs.
There may be some misguided club members that cause damage.
Some things i have observed are that no one ever seems to catch these vandals.Ask yourself this question.Have you ever been shooting at the range and had someone pull in and then leave?Well take a good look at who this is,these folks never shoot when someone else is around because they are screwups.These are the ones who shoot swingers with highpowers,place targets on wood of target frames,pattern shoot guns on foam or cardboard target frames,shoot bottles,propane bottles,paint cans,and all the crap that some TV programs promote.
Also when you go to the range if someone is shooting,stop and visit,see what they are doing.It may make a difference.
This might make a good forum post.
Has your club ever been a victum to range vandalism?
Brd_Hntr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Brd_Hntr »

You might consider cameras with recording to keep a record. The local archery club did this and discovered the individual responsible for significant damage and theft. There were some decoy and hidden cameras in the setup. Worth a thought.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Some people have no respect. A lot of people have no idea how much work it takes to keep things in decent shape. I hope you find them! Once in a while I shoot at a private range. Last time I was there, the 100 yard target holder was destroyed. I ask another guy who shoots there a lot and he said it was done with exploding targets. The holders are wood 2" x and some 4" x posts---it sure turned a lot of it to splinters, pretty much completely destroyed. And the real pisser is that it was not someone who shot the first one and said, oh crap! It was done with multiple blasts.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

After further investigation this morning, the consenses was a HP rifle was used with round when hits something, EXPLODES. A couple HP fellows said this mix is available off the shelf in stores. That's why there were splinters of 4X4 hurled some 20 feet too.
Then I learned that there is a problem with our software or we don't know how to convert the magnetic card numbers to actual club member names. We have talked about security cameras and it will be brought up the umpteeth time next month.

I took pictures of the damage and will display on our club Silhouette news board asking if anyone has or hears of information........
Upon further inspection today, there are 2 banks of 10 pigs we can still shoot for our January Frosty Iron match. Then, all will be rebuilt this Spring.

Yes, we have all kinds to spoil it for others. Jon
fartsinpublic
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fartsinpublic »

They can't have been very good, or surely the Turkeys would have been the target of their wrath. Taking it out on pigs...amateurs.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

fartsinpublic wrote:They can't have been very good, or surely the Turkeys would have been the target of their wrath. Taking it out on pigs...amateurs.
Perfect observation! I e-mailed Shelly Kramer, NRA Manager Tournament Operations yesterday, to let her know we may not have our Tournament in January and would advise. She said she has cancelled our 1/25/15 Tournament. I e-mailed her pictures today to show others of club member destruction.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

teetertoter,lets see those pics of damage.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

We have the same problem, have to keep our targets locked up. HP range target stands need replacing now, few could have been hit by accident. Number that are shot up makes it no accident.

Boats
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

It sounds like someone bought a bunch of Tannerite to play with and ended up blowing up your pigs. Tannerite is sold at lots of gun shops and gun shows. It can be fun and entertaining to play with in small quantities, but in large amounts it can be very destructive. If you look on YouTube, there are lots of videos of big explosions using tannerite. I've even seen one where some idiot blows up a truck with the stuff.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

hermit5 wrote:teetertoter,lets see those pics of damage.
I don't know how to post pictures here. Send me a PM with your email address.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Ghostofwar wrote:It sounds like someone bought a bunch of Tannerite to play with and ended up blowing up your pigs. Tannerite is sold at lots of gun shops and gun shows. It can be fun and entertaining to play with in small quantities, but in large amounts it can be very destructive. If you look on YouTube, there are lots of videos of big explosions using tannerite. I've even seen one where some idiot blows up a truck with the stuff.
Yes, that was the consensus with the 2 HP fellows from how it was done.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Too bad it is inhumane and likely illegal to stick some tannerite up the culprits butts and set it off.