First proper match

This is what we do.
geo01
B Poster
B Poster

First proper match

Post by geo01 »

After a few years of shooting handgun silhouette I finally got down to the range today and tried a Smallbore Rifle match. Used a CZ452 topped with a Leupold VXIII 6.5 - 20 target dot scope. Ended up shooting what I hope is a respectable score of 11. Came away from the match knowing that I need a lot more practice in technique in general and getting the scope centred on the targets in particular. No matter what the score was I still had a great time trying a different style of Silhouette. Now need to try and find more range time so that I can keep shooting both handgun and rifle matches.

Geo
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: First proper match

Post by Boyd L. »

An 11/40 is a very respectable first score and the equipment you're using will take you a long way. You may be surprised how fast you'll improve with steady practice (either range or dry fire time).

Congratulations.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Many people that come to the match for the first time end up shooting less than 10. That is usualy the last time we see them. Most guys think they are a way better shot than they really are and can't handle the truth.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Jerry G wrote:Many people that come to the match for the first time end up shooting less than 10. That is usualy the last time we see them. Most guys think they are a way better shot than they really are and can't handle the truth.
That almost describes me Jerry. I shot an 8 in hunter and a 9 in standard my first match. But you didn't get rid of me that easy! I thought I would do better, but with hard work and perseverance I can now shoot double digits every time!

But an 11 is just fine for starters. Stick with it, its the best shooting sport out there!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Nothing wrong with that score. I think I shot a 9 and 11 my first time out using a Remington 597 semi auto and 3x9 scope :lol: Then I upgraded the hammer and sear.. ohhh ahhh I was up to 12-14... Then I decided I was hooked and got a CZ452 Sil and a nice scope... That took me to AAA before I broke down and got the custom 1712 and now have a 54.18MSR for some reason as well @-) Sounds like you have a nice rig to get you going for sure. We have a little lady that can put up high 30's with her CZ when she is on.

Compared to pistol how would you say it was in difficulty for you versus your first pistol match? Jerry hit the main problem we have getting people to come back. They all think they are great shots and then suddenly they realize they aren't and that is that. It takes people that look at the guys shooting in the 30+ scores and think I want to shoot like that to get them involved.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
geo01
B Poster
B Poster

Post by geo01 »

Hey guys, thank you for the replies. :-bd

Having shot the different versions of handgun silhouette (except air pistol) I definitely didn't go into the match thinking that it would be easy. I am very happy with the score as I was able to beat a couple of the regular local shooters using Anschutz target rifles.

To answer Dee's question, I honestly can't remember the first time I shot silhouette because I started out locally with a couple of guys shooting an informal match. So by the time I got to shoot in a proper sanctioned match I was fairly used to shooting silhouettes. Although this doesn't mean that I am a fantastic shooter just a passionate one who enjoys the whole idea of silhouette no matter what score I end up with. I think the difference I found between handgun and rifle is the need to shoot unsupported with the rifle. I had a very hard time getting my hold to stay steady and to keep the scope on the targets. A lot of the shots that missed are because as the scope moved across the target I got the old "I'll have that shot" thought and snatched at the trigger to try and get the shot away before the scope moved off of the target again. I am sure that I do the same thing when it comes to the standing matches for the handgun disciplines.

Like I said before my scores don't really upset me all that much (unless I have had a really bad day) I enjoy silhouette shooting and even though I have only shot one smallbore rifle match I am already trolling through the local used guns web sites looking for an air pistol and air rifle so that I can have a go at these matches as well.

Geo
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Quick someone get him the antidote he has been deeply infected.

**== =))

Welcome to the club!
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Grizz61 wrote:Quick someone get him the antidote he has been deeply infected.
Its too late for that now. Now it needs to be "Quick somone get him an Anschutz!"
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Stay tuned, I might put my 1710 up in the next month or so.

I now shoot a 40X rim fire.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!