Has anyone felt the Anschutz is just too common?

This is what we do.
African Villager
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Has anyone felt the Anschutz is just too common?

Post by African Villager »

DavidABQ wrote:I have to be careful. The last time I listened to an anonymous stranger on the internet it cost me.$1700 for an Anschutz 1712 rifle.

You guys and gals can be real expensive to listen to.
:ymdevil:
Ha ha ha , Silhouette shooting is fairly inexpensive compared to the taste of the couch ninjas on fishing forums. $2000 barely covers the fishfinder because you cannot go fishing if you cannot identify the specie on a 12inch flat screen with super duper down scan , side scan , CHIRP etc .

the days of a simple lure or float are gone - if you cannot see up the fishes arsehole you are doing it wrong :D

Some true words : " The more I practice the luckier I get " - Gary Player
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Personally I would keep what you have although I had a mod 64 and sold it and now have a full dress 10/22 that shoots very well. Someone else had it put together and I bought it from him. It has a Briley barrel and a Kidd trigger which I would highly recommend. It also has a Pharr stock and I was told that it was and will be the only one he did or will do. I do not know Mark Pharr but the job he did on that stock is beyond amazing.
I had another 10/22 when they first came out(list price was $54.50) and that went out the door fairly quickly.
My rifle doesn't get shot much anymore as smallbore silhouette has unfortunately declined in activity around here.
Good luck if you choose to go forward with your project.
Richard
bjkramer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bjkramer »

Try to find a used Anshutz 54.MSR. It takes standard class silhouette shooting to a whole different level. One of the great tragedies of the shooting world is that the 54.MSR is out of production.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

The truth is great athletes and marksmen can compete with whatever is in their hands. Tiger Woods can beat my butt with a set of McGrager irons and 1980's persimmon woods.

Troy Lawton won 1996 NRA Nationals with a tricked out 10-22. Why can't you?

Can I? NO! LOL. I may have some talent, but don't have the time to develop it. It takes cases of ammo and the time to send the round down range and figure this game out.

I suggest everyone shoot the rifle you like and enjoy the journey.
- Joe
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Hate to be the one to say it, but if you get rid of that 1712 for a 10-22, there is only one thing you will be, sorry.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

DABQ, just get a 10/22 and play with it, keep the Annie, they are all fun. Amen to JB.
Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

There is a pretty Walther in the classifieds... guaranteed you won't see another one at a match....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

"Building" a 10-22 is a great project. You can spend a lot, and in turn turn an every-day rifle into a real tack driver. But, have you ever shot one in a silhouette match? You don't top shooters using them.

I find them difficult to hold - the magazine, mag release, necessary stock shape on the bottom, etc. make them difficult for me to grip and hold in a repeatable manner.

You may be different, but before you sink a bunch of money into a project that may not give you the results you want - try one in a match.

Mine shoots wonderfully from a bench, is one of the most accurate guns I have, but I just can't work out a good grip for it.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
deaner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by deaner »

I have an AMP Challenge edition (SS action, barrel, Jewell trigger, Anschutz style 'glass stock) w/ many mags if someone wants to trade for a common 1712.
I know these are hard to find especially since the lawsuit and Jewell quit making his trigger for them.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

New postby snaketail2 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:16 pm
"Building" a 10-22 is a great project. You can spend a lot, and in turn turn an every-day rifle into a real tack driver. But, have you ever shot one in a silhouette match? You don't top shooters using them.

I won a few trophies at the nationals in AAA hunter class with a 10-22.

I guess you didn't see that Lawton won the nationals with one.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Not to add anything to Davids obvious troll, but:

A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools.

It ain't the indian, its the arrow.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

OldRanger wrote:Not to add anything to Davids obvious troll, but:

A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools.

It ain't the indian, its the arrow.
You mean I need to buy better ammo?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

DavidABQ wrote:You mean I need to buy better ammo?
Yeah, for your 10-22. Did you put that 1712 in the mail to me yet? As soon as I get it I'll send you the 10-22 as promised.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
siloet56
B Poster
B Poster

Post by siloet56 »

I have 2 anschutz 54ms.. One is highly modified by Tom Volquartsen. Which likes eley One is untouched factory version which likes federal gold medal match.. I have 2 10/22s one is tweeked by Kidd., the other by Volquartsen... They both shoot so good.. I so much hate the overused term takedriver.... But that is exactly what they do... Any one of these guns can win any silhouette match in the country, all you needs is a steady hand.. They are simply tools that all shoot different.. Pure fun
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You are right, you do need a steadier hand to shoot a 10-22 just like you do to shoot a flintlock.