22 Hornet Loads - TC Contender

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
StandingTall
B Poster
B Poster

22 Hornet Loads - TC Contender

Post by StandingTall »

Just purchased a 10" 22 hornet octagonal barrel for my Contender. I had previously read that it may not stabilize bullets heavier than 50 grains, and well....that appears to be the case.

I loaded up some Sierra 53gr FBHP and Hornady 55gr FBSP and the results weren't that great.....hard to get even 6" shot grouping at best @ 50 yards. My load was 4.5gr W231 with CCI 400 primers. I have read elsewhere this is a valid silhouette load for the 22 hornet and folks using it were getting good results with it.

I have some Sierra 45gr spitzers on the way and would like to know your opinion on a good load to use for these that will take down the rams and at the same time not smack me in the face when using the taco hold with my scope.

Thanks for your input, folks.....
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 22 Hornet Loads - TC Contender

Post by ole95 »

The older factory barrels were 1/14 twist
The newer are 1/12 I have both
The 1/12 I shoot 53 and 55 gr. @about 1950 mv with no problem
The 14 twist does better with 45gr but will shoot 50gr. I'm using IMR 4227
I had 1/12 that would not shoot anything
It no longer lives at my house
StandingTall
B Poster
B Poster

Post by StandingTall »

What load to you use with 4227 on your 45gr bullets? How is the recoil?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Years ago, I went through 8 or 9 ten inch Hornet barrels trying to find 2 that would shoot the Winchester 55gr FMJBT that, at the time, was the cheapest 50-55gr projectile you could load. While the older barrels did fine with 45gr and below, even the newer barrels would seldom group better than 2MOA with the 55gr FMJBTs, regardless of powder type and charge that I tried. At the time, I settled on the 4.5g of W231/HP38 load.

Later on, when the FMJBT bullets got hard to find, I tried a Hornady flat based/soft point in both 50gr and 55gr and was VERY pleasantly surprised to find the 50gr pills would shoot sub-MOA and the 55gr would average MOA or slightly larger groups using the same charge. I've since duplicated those results in newer 12" barrels, however I started seeing some primer flattening, especially with the 55gr loads.

Based on suggestions from a couple of respected Hunter Pistol competitors, I then tried WSF powder and found it to not have the pressure indications and be very forgiving of variations in powder charge. I tried charges from 4.3gr all the way to 5.5gr and everything shot pretty much near MOA or better. I've also since tried various other vendors' versions of the 50 & 55gr Flat based SPs and had similar results.

I found that both the 50 and 55gr loads to be easy to shoot in scoped guns held "Taco style", but the 55gr loads started to bump my glasses and nose when using peep sights in metallic category. So, I now shoot the 50gr loads at everything and carry a box of 55gr in my box "just in case" I run upon a stubborn bank of rams.... (the two loads consistently shoot within an inch of each other). To date, I've only had one ram not fall on a very windy day with the 50gr load, using a soft point bullet.... (I've seen numerous 53gr HPs not take the ram... I assume due to the bullet's more fragile construction).

my .02, :ymcowboy:

-Tim
StandingTall
B Poster
B Poster

Post by StandingTall »

Tlee wrote:
I found that both the 50 and 55gr loads to be easy to shoot in scoped guns held "Taco style", but the 55gr loads started to bump my glasses and nose when using peep sights in metallic category. So, I now shoot the 50gr loads at everything and carry a box of 55gr in my box "just in case" I run upon a stubborn bank of rams.... (the two loads consistently shoot within an inch of each other). To date, I've only had one ram not fall on a very windy day with the 50gr load, using a soft point bullet.... (I've seen numerous 53gr HPs not take the ram... I assume due to the bullet's more fragile construction).
Well, I'm quite sure that the 55gr aren't gonna stabilize well in my barrel at all. However, I do have some 50gr Sierra Blitz that I just may load up with the W321/HP-38 and try out. Did you use the 4.5gr load with the 50gr bullet also?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

StandingTall wrote:
Well, I'm quite sure that the 55gr aren't gonna stabilize well in my barrel at all. However, I do have some 50gr Sierra Blitz that I just may load up with the W321/HP-38 and try out. Did you use the 4.5gr load with the 50gr bullet also?
I did try the 4.5gr of W231/HP38 load with the 50g Bullet and it shot fine.... About MOA, IIRC. But I had to switch to WSF due to pressure signs in the 12" barrel. The 50g bullets with 4.5gr of W231/HP38 went approximately 1670fps from a 10" barrel and right at 1900fps in the 12" barrel.

BTW, if you have some 55gr flat based bullets, try them... It might surprise you! I theorize the flat based did better than the FMJBTs in mine due to a higher bearing surface.

- Tim
StandingTall
B Poster
B Poster

Post by StandingTall »

Tlee wrote: BTW, if you have some 55gr flat based bullets, try them... It might surprise you! I theorize the flat based did better than the FMJBTs in mine due to a higher bearing surface.
- Tim
Yup, I already tried the 55gr flat based bullets with 4.5gr HP-38/W231 and the groups were awful at 50 yards. That's why I believe my barrel will not stabilize that round. Haven't tried the 50gr yet with the same charge. Just got a box of 100 in the mail as well as some 45gr Sierra spitzers and 35gr Hornady VMAX. Hoping the use the 35gr for CPT and the heavier 45gr or 50gr for the rams.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Had a 10" custom shop barrel. 4gr Bullseye under 33gr Barnes for CPT and 4gr Bullseye under 40 - 45gr Sierra soft points for the rams. Sub MOA all day long, no recoil.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I haven't shot .22 Hornet in aout 15 years. However, I fantastic results with 55gr bullets and PB powder. 100 yard sub MOA was normal.
Unfortunately I do not remember the charge. It was low enough that it did not crater the targets, but fast enough to not require much elevation change across all 4 targets.

If you can I would experiment with PB - it worked well for me 15 yeas ago. (I suspect I was using the old style barrel.) Same charge with 45r bullets left dimples in short line animals.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."