357 Magnum...

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Minuteman
Unclassified Poster

357 Magnum...

Post by Minuteman »

Just shot some light loads with 125 gr Hornady XTP and 7 gr. Unique powder. Got some vertical stringing. My brother and I both shot the rifle and got stringing. I weighed every charge.
Used Remington Nickel plated Brass with Winchester Primers.

Any suggestions on curing vertical stringing.

Rifle is Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

Thanks,
Minuteman
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Try some Hogdons Tite Group. anything from 5.5 to 6.5 I used this powder for PC silhouette with good results. 5.5 grs will very gently lay the chickens back on the berm. You will need 6.0 or 6.5 for the rams however. Al
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

My 1894c strings the shots also. I can get two or three in a tight group and then throw a couple of flyers when the gun heats up. I tried the barrel band / stock tightening and loosing and I still had stringing. My groups hover around 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards and that's accpetable hunting accuracy for me at 100 yards. I tried light and heavy bullets and the groups still stayed about the same. If you find a cure , let me in on your secret.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Try imr 4227 12-15 grains.12 seemed better in short barrels.under 1 inch at 100 meters.
TXCharlie
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TXCharlie »

I spent some time trying to make mine shoot, look at the barrel crown.

C-Ya,
Charlie
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

There are two common causes of vertical stringing in rifles, the first is pressure on the barrel from an outside source. In the case of your lever action that would be the magazine tube via the barrel band. Shoot the rifle and watch on the target if each successive shot goes higher or lower.
If each shot impacts higher than the next as the barrel warms the tube is pushing up against the barrel. If each shot impacts lower the magazine tube is pulling the barrel down or the two are being drawn together. Removing wood under the barrel or under the band will usually bring accuracy back.
If there seems to be no pattern to the stringing, one shot high, one shot low, next shot high than the likely cause is inconsistant velocity. This is fairly common with light loads/poor ignition. A chronograph would tell you immediately if this is the problem. There's two ways to resolve this problem, use more powder and improve the ignition,or use a filler such as winchester super grex to hold the powder at the bottom of the case next to the primer. Also in pistol cartridges like 357 the bullet needs a good solid crimp on the bullet.
More likely though is the magazine tube/barrel band scenario. If you have them include a spotting scope and chronograph in next shooting session. If you don't I would borrow or buy them.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
scotty250
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 357 Magnum...

Post by scotty250 »

any update on the stringing problem??
Scott
shooter ready?
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

I was wondering how I was going to get my "lower replica dance shoes." That's a load off my mind.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

WTF? we all think, as the gaydar siren wails in the backround.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

There was a junk ad/reply on here for dance shoes that (has since been deleted) I was making fun of. Really.

Tancred