Pistol cartridges used for Rifle event, good or bad?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Outback Mick
B Poster
B Poster

Pistol cartridges used for Rifle event, good or bad?

Post by Outback Mick »

Hello folks,
Having lately used a Pistol cartidge (not by choice) for the 200m Rifle match I was wondering what the general thought in the US is about this.

Do most folk prefer a rifle cartridge for the longer ranges or is there merit in using a pistol cal for two events?

Regards,
Outback Mick
Camels are the best silhouettes
Down Under F-Troop
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Pistol cartridges used for Rifle event, good or bad?

Post by ppkny »

I tried this when I first got into Cowboy Silhouette. My thought was to use only two rifles, the 39A in 22 cal for SCR and a 357 for PC & CLA. I had limited success and found like many others that the 357 just didn't have the knockdown power for the rams at 200M. I was using Fiochi ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1850 and although it would take down some rams that were hit off center a true body shot would only shake them.
I've since went to a Win94 30/30 which is the right choice for the CLA game. Your'e going to have people say they have loads that will work for the PC to be used for CLA but I know if I at least hit a ram I want it to go down every time.
ppkny
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

ppkny wrote:I tried this when I first got into Cowboy Silhouette. My thought was to use only two rifles, the 39A in 22 cal for SCR and a 357 for PC & CLA. I had limited success and found like many others that the 357 just didn't have the knockdown power for the rams at 200M. I was using Fiochi ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1850 and although it would take down some rams that were hit off center a true body shot would only shake them.
I've since went to a Win94 30/30 which is the right choice for the CLA game. Your'e going to have people say they have loads that will work for the PC to be used for CLA but I know if I at least hit a ram I want it to go down every time.
ppkny

But only your spotter will know for sure :ymcowboy:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
Hit them in the head Mick, they'll go. Just remember it's the Toad who said not to use 240grn because the 210 would do. He's gone senile from blood loss out his A%$E but they'll fix that. Hope they cauterise with a hot crowbar!!
Anyway it's good advise he gave obviously as he's now trying to get a Marlin XLR in 35Remington. By the way he can't get one in Australia so he's looking for a exporter in the USofA.
Juddy
The Chairman
The Chairman has spoken!!
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

man up a bit it's a 3 gun event not 2 guns one used twice. A bit of recoil never hurt anyone much!!!!!
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I've used a 44 mag for both Lever PC and CLA. I use a light load with 200 gr bullets for PC and a reasonable load with 240gr for CLA. No problem taking Rams at 200M. Only confusing part was keeping the sight setting straight

Ken
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Go with a Marlin xlr in 308mx and never look back. If the bullet is even close it scares the ram down :D
tim
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

I use a 25-20 for pistol, I don't have to change sight settings at all, and a browning 1886 45-70 that takes down rams with authority and is my most accurate rifle. **==
scotty250
B Poster
B Poster

Post by scotty250 »

GTKF- would you mind sharing more on your loads for the 44. i have a marlin 44 that i would like to start shooting and need some load info to get started. i have some win. factory 240gr stuff for now but i will want to start to load them myself. i have about 200 sierra 220g silhouette 44's i got from an oldtime pistol shooter, but i think sierra discontinued these bullets. anyways if you could share your loads with me to get me started i would sure appreciate it.
thank you
Scott
shooter ready?
toad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by toad »

timfinle wrote:Go with a Marlin xlr in 308mx and never look back. If the bullet is even close it scares the ram down :D
hi all
is that legal in the ( n.r.a ) rules that you can use a .308cal . i have been led to believe that the 35 rem
is the only rimless that is legal.??

regards toad
the toad has croaked http://www.tedsmachinetool.com/
Bear
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Bear »

Hi All

Toad the 308 marlin express is a rimmed case. I almost bought one .
Anyway how did your secret practice for Tasmainia this weekend go with Ramslammer do you thing we will let you take the money.

Bear
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

Toad, Bear
lucky neither of you actually use one of those 308 cus it would almost be as bad as shooting a stainless steel gun with a rubber buttplate and trailboss as powder. It's something i'd expect someone like tasco to do(if he could keep a gun together for long enough to shoot a whole match)
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
Outback Mick
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Outback Mick »

G'day all,
Don't be to hard on the poor old Toad. Remember he is Taswegian and his noggin is quite close to the ground, actually very near the Chairman's knuckles... You need also to take into account that Tassie can at times be a little behind the times, so news of new cartridge/rifle combinations takes several years/decades to filter through. As an example, I was down that way several weeks ago and the poor buggers were frothing at the mouth about the "new" .222 Remington, need I say more.

Due to the upcoming major event at Westbury (money in the frame pressure) and his recent "back door" drama it is no wonder the old bugger is not thinking straight. I can also add that the Toad will miss my calming influence that lead to his PC PB of 35.

The Ex Pom and myself and gearing up for Bears arrival in south Aus next week. Sneaky practise......

Regards,
Outback Mick
Camels are the best silhouettes
Down Under F-Troop
Bear
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Bear »

Hi All

Outback Mick sneaky practice I heard that you sold my ammo hope you got a good price don't sell my swag.

Bear
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Scotty250

I use 200 gr rnfp laser casts from Oregon Trail, sized to .429, with 9.5gr of Unique in mag case for PC, Some I know use 8.5 of Unique with 240gr truncated cones.

For rifle I use 21.0 gr of IMR 4127 with a 240gr rnfp laser cast (.429) in the mag case. The rifle is a marlin 1894 cowboy with a 24" barrel

Ken