.44 MAG load for pistol & rifle.

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
bigrobbierob
B Poster
B Poster

.44 MAG load for pistol & rifle.

Post by bigrobbierob »

Just getting into the sport. I already shoot CLA smallbore and am wanting to make the move into the centerfire side of the house. I have settled on a Marlin .44mag, but need to find a load now. I am wanting to get a load that I can use for both rifle and pistol CLA. I have two loads in mind, please let me know which you would choose and if you think that particular load will take rams at 200.

A.) 180gr JHC, 13.0-13.5 gr Unique, at around 1,550 fps, 1.585 OAL.

OR

B.) 200gr JHP, 13.0-13.5 gr Unique, at around 1,475 fps, 1.575" OAL.

Also would these loads need some dacron filler or are they GTG?

My goal again is one load for both events. I do know it would probablly be better to buy 180's threw 240's to see which the gun will like the best, but with the lighter projo's being slightly cheaper, that is my motovation to use them.

Please let me know what you think, thank you.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: .44 MAG load for pistol & rifle.

Post by ppkny »

bigrobbierob,
Not to sound discouraging and I know you'll hear from some guys that have loads for the 44 mag and say it's no problem but I tried this route with my 357 last year and wasn't successful in knocking down the rams all the time. I was using Fiochhi ammo going out of the barrel at 1650 fps. Another problem was the short sighting radius.

There are two problems you'll encounter. The big rainbow curve you'll need to get the 44 mag out to 200 meters and the short sighting radius that the Marlin has. You didn't mention how long the barrel was but I assume it's not 26 inches.

I found that this is really a three gun sport. I've since changed to a tang sight on my Marlin 357 to give me more radius for the PC game and also went to a Win94 30-30 with a 26 inch Octagon barrel for the CLA game. Guys that are hand loading the 30-30 can go from c-p-t-r without changing the elevation.

Good luck, ppkny
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Also, a load that will take down the 200m rams will probably damage the shorter targets in the pistol cartridge match. You'd also be taking a LOT more recoil than necessary for the entire PC match and CPT in the rifle match.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

You can use a 44 for both PC and rifle, but I think you'll need 2 loads. I agree with Jason a 44 load that will take down Rams at 200M will damage PC chickens at 40M.

I use 200 gr lead RNFP with 9.5 of Unique for PC and 240 gr lead RNFP with 21gr of IMR 4227 for Rifle. The 44 mag has enough energy to take Rams. The 357 with 180 grain in my experience does not.
bigrobbierob
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigrobbierob »

Sorry for taking forever to get back to you all, been on vacation for a little bit.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

GTKF, I think i might give your loads a go. Play with them a little and see what happens. Do you have a OAL for them?

Again thank you guys.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

ppkny wrote:bigrobbierob,
Not to sound discouraging and I know you'll hear from some guys that have loads for the 44 mag and say it's no problem but I tried this route with my 357 last year and wasn't successful in knocking down the rams all the time. I was using Fiochhi ammo going out of the barrel at 1650 fps. Another problem was the short sighting radius.

There are two problems you'll encounter. The big rainbow curve you'll need to get the 44 mag out to 200 meters and the short sighting radius that the Marlin has. You didn't mention how long the barrel was but I assume it's not 26 inches.

I found that this is really a three gun sport. I've since changed to a tang sight on my Marlin 357 to give me more radius for the PC game and also went to a Win94 30-30 with a 26 inch Octagon barrel for the CLA game. Guys that are hand loading the 30-30 can go from c-p-t-r without changing the elevation.

Good luck, ppkny
Would you mind explaining the no elevation changes with the 30-30? That sounds intriguing.

Rick
txairshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by txairshooter »

Re: not sight adjustment needed.
Just aim slightly different and you don't have to change elevation. Low on chickens, pigs, low center on turkeys, center or higher on rams. I don't shoot this but have with another 30-30 rifle using factory ammo. the owner said don't change the sights and it will work if you aim differently on each animal. I prefer to hold the same leg-body or belly line for all the animals, thus change the sights.