.357 loads for Pistil Cartridge

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

.357 loads for Pistil Cartridge

Post by glen ring »

I sent my 1894c to Marlin and they put an Octagon barrel on it. It now seems very picky about what I feed it. I've just bought some new .357 brass and I want a good "midrange" load for pistol cartridge silhouette. I don't want to dent targets, I'll never hunt with it, just a very accurate load for Pistol Cartridge silhouette. Does someone have a favorite load , that they shoot in their rifle, that will give me good accuracy at 100 yards?
Just Be Nice **==
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Re: .357 loads for Pistil Cartridge

Post by the ex pom »

my 357 cowboy is shooting remarkably well with 11gr 4227 pushing a 158grn round nose lead bullet. First pistol cal match out with it I shot a 34 and was messing around trying to get the sjght settings right. I've put it on paper and it groups about 3" at 100m which is good enough for me to hit every ram if i do my part.
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Ex Pom
Thank You. I'll try your load. The 158 RNL, is it a commercial cast bullet?
Just Be Nice **==
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I would have had marlin chamber it for 38 spl. its reduced case would be better for this sport. but since its already in 357 which I also shoot, my load is 7.1 gr of unique using 125 gr rainnier plated bullets. berry bullets makes them too. not as much kick as the 158s. they don't fowl the barrel like lead will and if you keep the velocity below 1500 fps they don't come apart. if you are shooting CLA you can jump to the 158's but its not the best for the 200 yd rams.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tite-Group is another good powder for the .357. When I shot one I used anywhere from 5.0 grs. to 6.5 grs behind any 125 gr bullet. I used the lighter loads for chickens and pigs. It was very accurate, and I used to get a hoot out of hitting the chickens and they would just lay back and fall down like ducks all in a row. Al
Team Sierra Member
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

[Thank You. I'll try your load. The 158 RNL, is it a commercial cast bullet?]
I have used comercial cast bullets but right now I'm using my own projectiles.
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
Bear
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Bear »

Hi All
Hey Ex Pom how long have had a 357 & what are you doing with the 38-40, will I need to bring a spoon of cement to Canberra so you can harden the F#@* up. :!:

Bear
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

Bear, i've de-manned got myself a 357 a pink shirt pink ammo bag and possibly will have my hair plated for the shoot in January. At this point in time it's all about getting as many targets as possible