Cartridge conversion pistol

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Notspart
Unclassified Poster

Cartridge conversion pistol

Post by Notspart »

All the guys at the club have finally figured out that I live on the lunatic fringe, so I figured that I might as well give 'em what they expect :D

I've got an Italian copy of an 1858 Remington revolver. I picked up a cartridge conversion cylinder for it a while back, so I can shoot .45 Long Colts with it. Black powder only, of course. It's a pretty doggone accurate pistol, even with the fairly crude sights. Is it legal for hunter pistol class? I don't want to weasel my way around the rules, but as far as I can tell, Remington made cartridge versions of the cap and ball revolver from 1868 until 1874. Mine has a Kirst Konverter, which obviously isn't a factory cylinder, but it effectively duplicates the five-shot Remington cylinder made from 1868 to 1869.

I don't expect that I'll be even an A shooter with it, but, like all the other guys on the line, I'm out there to have fun. So what do you think? Smell and smoke aside, am I solidly legal?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Cartridge conversion pistol

Post by Jason »

Should be perfectly legal, as 45 long colt is legal. As far as I know, it's the cartridge that determines if it fits the hunter pistol rules more than being some factory standard model of pistol. I shoot a Contender with an aftermarket barrel. That doesn't seem to be any more "factory" than yours is. Have someone take pictures of you shooting the match with real black powder, please. I'd love to see them. :)