Legality of shipping bullets to California

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
all40s
Unclassified Poster

Legality of shipping bullets to California

Post by all40s »

Can anyone help with convincing frequent poster "glen ring" that it is legal to send bullets to California?
I have sent the NRA's news release on the judge's overturning the anti-ammo law that almost went into effect in January, 2011.
I have sent the (800) numbers of Cabelas, Midway and Midsouth, who ship vast amounts of bullets to California every day.
His post in the "Marketplace" section under "wtt 357 nosler bullets" got my attention, and we had a deal until the the worry about legality of shipping bullets to California derailed it.
Any Google reference after January 8, 2011 tells the correct story, but I'm afraid he was influenced by references dated before that, which predated the judge's decison.
Thanks for any ideas or contact that would get this misconception corrected.
all40s
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Legality of shipping bullets to California

Post by lone ringer »

all40's, there is no issue with shipping bullets to California. They can be shipped via UPS, Fed Ex or USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box without restrictions because they are not cartridges, primers or powder. As recently as last month I ordered and received bullets from an out of state supplier.

If the anti-ammo law had gone into effect we would not have been able to order handgun ammo through mail order but I do not think it ever included reloading components like powder, primers which the only requirement to ship is that Haz Mat charges are added to the order.
all40s
Unclassified Poster

Post by all40s »

Thank you, "lone ringer", for a well reasoned explanation of the situation.
Anybody else have any idea how to convince "glen ring" that California has not placed any restriction on the importation of ammo? We are dealing not with ammo here, but with non-hazardous-material components, and even that aspect, not covered by the law-that-isn't, has "glen ring" concerned with legality.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

all40s, be glad you don't live in the peoples republic of massachusetts. we can't get anything shipped here. ~x( 8-}
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

all 40's

I can't unravel California gun Laws. I know that the silhouette bullets are just that, silhouette bullets, but in your state someone may call them full metal jacket , armor piercing, handgun rounds. I am not familiar with all your state's and Municipal gun laws and am overly cautious about sending anything firearms related to California.

I have arrested many people on firearms related charges in the state of Oklahoma and have helped prosecute them in State and Federal Jurisdictions. I understand Federal Firearm's law and my own state law, but I am unable to unravel your state's Gun laws to be 100 % satisfied that mailing you full metal jacket handgun rounds is Legal in your State, County, or Municipality.

There are many suppliers that will sell you the bullets you require. My post was for a trade for bullets to use in my 32-20.
When you e-mailed me that you live in a very anti-gun area that made me very cautious and having always been a Law Abiding person, I always err on the side of caution.

Good luck. I hope to meet you at the International Championships here in Oklahoma City next summer.
Just Be Nice **==
all40s
Unclassified Poster

Post by all40s »

glen ring

Email sent conceding the points you make, although those bullets are no longer made, unavailable elsewhere and have no currently manufactured silhouette equivalent.

Best regards,

all40s
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

glen, i'll take those 32-20 bullets! :ymdevil:
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member