Hunter Pistol Silhouette scopes?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Hunter Pistol Silhouette scopes?

Post by cedestech »

I'm going to be trying Hunter Pistol and am looking at scopes....

I have noticed pistol scopes don't have AO and haven't seen many with target turrets...

What are some popular ones used in Silhouette?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Hunter Pistol Silhouette scopes?

Post by Innocent »

I see a lot of lower power (3-9 or 4-12) rifle scopes being used in Hunter pistol locally. Usually with only crosshairs and there is a contious watch for
elbows resting on the body, but other than that they seem to work well with a "taco" hold.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I'm thinking that is what I'm going to do... I scowered online last night and it seems 99% of the long eye relief "pistol" scopes are non-target turret, non-AO....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Whole thread on scoping for Hunter Pistol here:

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... =13&t=3840

-Tim
dondlhmn
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dondlhmn »

I use the TACO hold and have always used rifle scopes on my handguns. Both my .22 Smallbore Hunter Pistol and my .32-20 Hunter Pistol have Leupold 6.5 to 20 Vari-X 3 target scopes mounted on them. They have a range setting ring that sets the paralax and I prefer target dots. Both have had literally thousands of rounds fired through them and I have had great success with them. Both guns are set up identcally in all respects. The plastic stuff on the bottom of the front end of the scope is jsut there to keep the muzzle blast from beating the scope up, but (at least it used to be) if you shoot IHMSA matches, they don't allow that to be on there so you have to remove it when you shoot in their matches. The Weaver rings and Bases are not really my first choice as I prefer either Leupold or Redfiled (now the same company, actually) rings and use those on all my long guns. BUT, I will have to say that I have never had one of the Weavers fail or even move at all...again through many, many rounds of use. They have been on both guns for at least 20 years and so there may be more choices now that could be stronger and maybe allow the scope to be postioned where YOU personally prefer them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1stlttightwad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1stlttightwad »

cedestech wrote:I'm going to be trying Hunter Pistol and am looking at scopes....

I have noticed pistol scopes don't have AO and haven't seen many with target turrets...

What are some popular ones used in Silhouette?
FWIW, I used a Simmons 6X18 when I shot in the mid 80's and did quite well..I don't know what is a "taco" hold but I guess it is where the elbows are extended out to the side and away from the body..I and my wife never had a question about our elbows resting on the body. True the higher powers exagerate the "perceived wiggle" ( in reality it shows what you are really doing). HOWEVER, in reality it will show you the advantage of learning how to time the shot break BETWEEN heart beats. As far as AO, most rifle scopes in the higher magnification will have AO and Target Turrets which will solve two of your concerns. Keep in mind. Is it easier to hold steady with your arm fully extended or up closer to your face as required to see through the shorter rifle scope eye relief ? BTW my ex was "B" Class National Champion in 1985 using said stance. Hope this helps..Best of luck shooting...Dave Deo Vindice
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Shot my first 2 matches tonight. I'm using a 9 power scope and still working on my hold. I shot 2 - 20's back to back, exchanged a turkey for a ram between the 2 matches. I am needing some more
magnification. I use 25 power in SB silhouette, I am thinking mid-teens for this should do me about right... need more rounds down range right now.

:)
1stlttightwad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1stlttightwad »

Cedentech, try this..Use a little back pressure on your holding hand and a little forward pressure on your grip hand. This will form an isometric stress that can help you with the shakes and possibly move your scores up. You might also try reverse of the above to see if it works better for you.