Martens sights

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Martens sights

Post by ole95 »

I'm setting up a Contender for NRA small bore hunter pistol open sights Taco hold style
and I think I would like to try a Williams FP Peep and during my googling of the matter I ran across
the Martin sight (@daisysights.com) just wondering if anyone has or does use this setup
thanks for any and all input or help
jrs
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Martens sights

Post by Tlee »

ole95 wrote:I'm setting up a Contender for NRA small bore hunter pistol open sights Taco hold style
and I think I would like to try a Williams FP Peep and during my googling of the matter I ran across
the Martin sight (@daisysights.com) just wondering if anyone has or does use this setup
thanks for any and all input or help
jrs
One of my Contenders and one of my IZH46 Air Pistols use a Marten's sight. I like them both.

I also have a couple of the Ken Light open sight/full length rail setups:
http://www.kenlightmfg.com/products.html

FWIW, Ken's full length rail setups accept Weaver scope rings and can enable you to use the same barrel for both open and scoped categories (removing the front hood is necessary). One of my Contenders is setup this way, similar to this:

BTW, the scope setup does hold zero when I swap it between metallic and scoped sights.

-Tim
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ole95 »

Thanks Tlee for your input
BTW, the scope setup does hold zero when I swap it between metallic and scoped sights.
I was wondering that. But I've got two match barrels and plan on using one only with scope and one only with sights.
so I will not needed the rib but I had looked at Ken Lights stuff,
I'm hoping to use a Williams FP peep and a Marten or "Bond type" front type with the taco hold.
I heard the williams mounts to low and needed to be raised ? do you used the Williams?
any input?
Thanks
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

ole95 wrote:Thanks Tlee for your input
I was wondering that. But I've got two match barrels and plan on using one only with scope and one only with sights.
so I will not needed the rib but I had looked at Ken Lights stuff,
I'm hoping to use a Williams FP peep and a Marten or "Bond type" front type with the taco hold.
I heard the williams mounts to low and needed to be raised ? do you used the Williams?
any input?
Thanks
I'm not using the FP-TC that screws directly in place of the factory T/C rear sight (which would be too short for the Bond front). The Martens setup I have on my metallic sight only barrel uses a Williams FP-KN on the rear (screwed onto a short Weaver style rail provided by Martens) and the Bond front. Be sure to order the long hood for the front sight. It works better for taco hold than the short hood.

- Tim
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ole95 »

I'm not using the FP-TC that screws directly in place of the factory T/C rear sight (which would be too short for the Bond front). The Martens setup I have on my metallic sight only barrel uses a Williams FP-KN on the rear (screwed onto a short Weaver style rail provided by Martens) and the Bond front.
Thanks Tim that just what I was trying to fined out. I had e-mailed Marten but have not heard back.
Because I've never really used a peep I was think of adding Merit adjustable aperture>
I think they even make different sizes of those
decisions decisions :-o
jrs
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

ole95 wrote:
I'm not using the FP-TC that screws directly in place of the factory T/C rear sight (which would be too short for the Bond front). The Martens setup I have on my metallic sight only barrel uses a Williams FP-KN on the rear (screwed onto a short Weaver style rail provided by Martens) and the Bond front.
Thanks Tim that just what I was trying to fined out. I had e-mailed Marten but have not heard back.
Because I've never really used a peep I was think of adding Merit adjustable aperture>
I think they even make different sizes of those
decisions decisions :-o
jrs
The Merits are nice, but not a requirement. I have a merit adjustable, but because I also use Williams FPs on my Cowboy silhouette guns (and am sharing guns with 2 other shooters in the house) I seldom have the Merit with me. It always seems to be on the gun I left at home. I find that 95% of the time a fixed .050 Williams insert works for me (they're cheap and I do have one of those for each gun). Only time I miss the Merit is on heavy overcast/cloudy days, when I would open up the Merit a couple steps. Since I usually shoot using glasses with a slight tint, I can switch to a clear shooting pair and still find the .050 insert to work in overcast situations.

- Tim
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ole95 »

very good input
I find that 95% of the time a fixed .050 Williams insert works for me
I was not sure if the size needed to be different for the taco hold Not even sure what size comes with the Williams
Have not heard back from Marten I may just call them
jrs
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

ole95 wrote:very good input
I find that 95% of the time a fixed .050 Williams insert works for me
I was not sure if the size needed to be different for the taco hold Not even sure what sizecomes with the Williams
Have not heard back from Marten I may just call them
jrs

The FP sights come with a .100 or .080 IIRC

You'll need to buy a .050

I got mine from MidwayUSA. $5-10

-Tim
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ole95 »

thanks again