'79 model Contender problem...

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

'79 model Contender problem...

Post by cedestech »

Hopefully there is someone here that can help....

New to me contender. Gun is practicly new. Came with 30-30 barrel that I traded away and have a 22LR barrel for it now. Hammer intermitantly won't engauge.
Have read enough online to assume it has something to do with the locking lugs. I have read that you can "adjust" them by lightly removing a bit from
the "top" till they fit correctly to allow the transfer bar to drop. I can't find any pictures of what area of the lug is considered the "top".

I have already had it appart and back together, cleaning and lubing but the problem persists. The barrel locks up tight and I already have a new hammer spring
coming (light strikes).

Any one have a picture? It's the older one piece lug and if I can fix it by adjusting it rather then trying to fit the new lugs or send it off I REALLY rather would.

Thanks,

:D
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
retired
Unclassified Poster

Re: '79 model Contender problem...

Post by retired »

Here's a picture that was sent to me when I had a similar problem. A little stoning did the job. On mine, it didn't take much. Hope this helps...

Wayne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

What part is the arrow pointing to? The top (as in the square lug, the top being the flat part facing towards the chamber)?

I couldn't tell by what I read and the fact that the discussions were between guns with split pins or solid if the area in qustion is the
round "pins" that stick out from the square lug or the square lug itself and if top means oriented to the barrel of top being the part of the lug that goes into the
frame first.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
retired
Unclassified Poster

Post by retired »

In that picture,it's the flat horizontal part of the lug directly under the ejector.

Wayne
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I think I have a handle on it. :)

Thanks!
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Fixed. Just needed the lug/wedge relieved a tiny bit more.

Thanks,

:)