Bullet lube??,

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Bullet lube??,

Post by Hawk-1 »

Do any of you lube lead bullets, to keep lead out of your barrels? If so what do you use, and how does out affect accuracy? I am thinking of trying something on.22 rimfire bullets [cci] to try and keep the leading down. Any ideas otherwise? Thanks
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Bullet lube??,

Post by lone ringer »

I some times use Lee's Alox mixed with mineral spirits 50-50. If you lubricate the bullets with any oil based products and do not use the ammo right away you will run the risk of having the oil penetrate the cartridge and foul the powder.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Sounds really strange, but I recall a thread years ago on one of the forums concerning using spray on PAM cooking oil (canola?, iirc) on non-lubricated Federals. Supposedly it helped somewhat.

- Tim
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

I tried Pam in Fed Auto match ammo and fouled the powder on a bunch of them because they are not packed in boxes of 50 more than likely.
Like I said before if you use ANY OIL based lubricant only do it on what ever ammo you are going to use right away and not store for days, weeks or months.
kevinkunkle
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kevinkunkle »

Instead of lubing the bullet. Use SPG black powder bullet lube. Clean your barrel ,than put some SPG on a patch.
Run a couple of lubed patch's down the barrel.

Kevin
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

Kevin, how many rounds of. 22 do you think lubbing the barrel would last until you had to relube' or clean and re lube