300 AAC Blackout

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Kokenee
Unclassified Poster

300 AAC Blackout

Post by Kokenee »

Is there any traction for the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge in handgun silhouette? I have been pondering getting a Encore in a 30 Herrett for deer hunting for a long time and recently decided that I would instead get a 7.62 Russian. Now I have learned about this new but popular 300 AAC Blackout and was considering it instead of the 7.62 Russian. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I want a hunting handgun that Bob Milek would be proud to own if ya know what I mean.
I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerely, Hatchet Jack.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: 300 AAC Blackout

Post by GregG »

I am the process of building (or collecting) the pieces to put together a 300 blackout in an black rifles. The reason, I am interested in it is I want to build a 3 gun rifles, in a 223 frame that will shoot major. I have read and seen that the AMU has created such a rifle and I am trying to copy. From what I can see the round is really designed around heavy bullet low speeds for a can. But from what I can see and read, I think the max distance for this round is probably 200 yards with lots and lots of drop. It is not a very flat shooter.

For IHMSA pistol silhouette, I think there are much better rounds, as well as NRA silhouette.

Greg
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

The Blackout is a solution for a problem that never existed....
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Merlin wrote:The Blackout is a solution for a problem that never existed....

Yes and no, IMHO. One advantage to the round for entry teams very quite with a can. The second advantage is same mags, same bolt, less training than a new platform.

It is a very good round for what it was designed for, but it certainly not an answer to everything and is not a very optimal round.

Greg
Kokenee
Unclassified Poster

Post by Kokenee »

Thank you for the input.
I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerely, Hatchet Jack.
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ole95 »

It's cuz -ins the 300 whisper and 300/221 are being used in IHMSA silhouette both for standing and freestyle
I have a 10" that I hunt with (9point this year 65 yds.) and a new to me 14" that I plan on using for unlimited standing
Next year. Both contenders barrels the 10" is also my back gun for standing and production