Revolvers for hunter pistol?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
scotty250
B Poster
B Poster

Revolvers for hunter pistol?

Post by scotty250 »

Hello I can't find much info at my club regarding pistol silhouette. I'm interested in the 40,60,77,100 meter center fire class. Is this hunter class? What are the rules regarding sights for this class? Scope or iron sights? What calibers are required to take down rams at 100m ? I shoot various revolvers in action shooting games but nothing in silhouette pistol. I have 45acp, 38 super, 38 special & 44 mag revolvers. I'm trying to stay away from the 44 if possible due to recoil. I have 230g 45s and up to 170g 38s. Wondering what would be a better choice? I have shot sb & hp rifle quite a bit. I tried 22lr pistol but the rams wouldn't fall when hit, out of my 4" 22 with the ammo I used. So I'm gonna try center fire & hope some of my equipment will work.
Thank you
Scott
shooter ready?
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Revolvers for hunter pistol?

Post by GregG »

Scott,

In general all the cartridges you listed are good cartridges for pistol silhouette. If you are using a .22 in the center fire class you will have difficultly taking rams down. In either IHMSA or NRA Pistol silhouette there should be two different animals one for small bore, one for center fire.

If you are referring to NRA Pistol Silhouette got the reputation as the 22 hornet class. I would pick the most accurate pistol you have and enjoy. 22 Mag will almost always take a 100m ram. Shoot for this power.
scotty250
B Poster
B Poster

Post by scotty250 »

Greg, thanks for the reply. I am searching for the size of the targets for hunter center fire pistol. nra states 1/2 size targets. but I cant find any measurements. trying to see just how accurate the gun needs to be. I shoot sb and I know those targets are way to small for me to hit with any centerfire pistols that I currently own. I believe those are 1/5th size? so are these 1/2 size targets over twice the size? my guns will print 3-4" groups at 50 yards consistently.
thank you
Scott
shooter ready?
Steelshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steelshooter »

You've got the NRA sizes right, the pistol are 2.5X larger than the small bore rifle.

My scoped 22 LR contender w/10" barrel (3x9 scope) will hit all the small bore targets with budget ammo 98% of the time when rested. Gives you an idea of typical pistol accuracy levels.
dan222
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dan222 »

hi scott,
if you shoot at rio salado, they shoot the lever action, and pistol/revolver silhouettes on the first sunday of the month. they can give you all the information you need. at one time i ran that match till i moved back east.......dan :mrgreen:
scotty250
B Poster
B Poster

Post by scotty250 »

Hi Dan, I shot at rio a lot. I spoke with Jim Rose and he helped me out with good info.
thank you
Scott
shooter ready?