Anyone ever shot a little plastic pistol for hunter pistol?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Anyone ever shot a little plastic pistol for hunter pistol?

Post by Jason »

I'm picking up an S&W M&P Pro 9 pistol soon and am thinking of shooting the pistol cartridge match with it for fun. I'm thinking getting one or two out of ten will be something I count as success. Anyone tried the match before with a Glock or similar auto pistol for fun just to see how many you could hit? I have all of the reloading stuff already here or on the way. Now I just need to find one in stock to order it. There are a couple on Gunbroker that I'm going to check out, so I might have it in hand and ready to shoot in the match on 11/16.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Anyone ever shot a little plastic pistol for hunter pist

Post by GregG »

Jason,

My experience with the plastic pistol, XDM, S&W, Glock is they seem to always go bang but they are not extremely accurate. It is hard for this type of handgun to be accurate because of the way they lock up. They just do not lock up the same each time with the tolerances, the way the slide fits the frame and the barrel front lug. I have a friend who purchased a S&W pro model and out of the box (using a BIllM phrase) it would not shoot a number 5 wash tub until the barrel was re-crowd.

They are super guns for the action sports, IDPA, IHMSA, but for accuracy games not so much. That being said I have several of these types of guns and they are great because of all the aftermarket parts you can purchase and install yourself without a gun smith. I would shoot one in a heartbeat for a fun match.
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

Only ever shot my 1911 a couple dozen times. Consistent 26-28 with a 32 snuck in once. Cast 200gr SWC sent the chickens to flying. Don't remember ever ringing anything.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What Greg said.

If you want to do it for fun/the challenge, it's completely legal.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

Jason wrote:I'm picking up an S&W M&P Pro 9 pistol soon and am thinking of shooting the pistol cartridge match with it for fun. I'm thinking getting one or two out of ten will be something I count as success. Anyone tried the match before with a Glock or similar auto pistol for fun just to see how many you could hit? I have all of the reloading stuff already here or on the way. Now I just need to find one in stock to order it. There are a couple on Gunbroker that I'm going to check out, so I might have it in hand and ready to shoot in the match on 11/16.
We have had a few folks show up and try to shoot those types of pistols.A couple or three out of 40 is what they did.Beyond 25 yards is a real challenge for those types of guns.There are some that shoot well and there are folks that can shoot silhouettes with them.Most likely it will be frustrating or maybe not.All the S & W 39's ,59's,and 659's showed me that 50 yds. was a looong way for them from the bench.My 1911 is much better,but it's not a Contender.
fartsinpublic
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fartsinpublic »

I'm going to give it a try.

Been shooting rimfire silhouette a few times at an IHMSA range at 3/8 targets, and two Sundays after rimfire, they have centerfire on pretty big targets. I wasn't sure what they meant the first time I heard it, so I said that I would bring my .308 Tikka, and got a few weird looks. "Uhmmmm, Pistol centerfire." Oh, ok. I assumed centerfire rifle. LOL :-s

I have a .45 ACP with 5" barrel that I have shot on steel plates at 50 & 100 with decent results. (Plates are about 16"w x 20"h).

We'll see what happens...
African Villager
B Poster
B Poster

Post by African Villager »

Have been shooting small bore rifle for the most time but lately have developed a bit of a pistol itch as well .

Shot my 1995 Glock 19 gen 1 9mm the Weekend and got 14/40 that I don't think is to bad for a first go.

5 Chickens , 4 pigs , 2 Turkeys , 3 Rams. If I can get to 18-22/40 that seems about par for these type of guns

what was amazing was how little bullet drop there was and surprizing how accurate on chickens and Pigs the pistol was .

we shoot 20/30/40/50m .

Also took a very old Bernadelli .22lr with a 6inch target barrel with a buggered rear sight for a set as well

and did 18/40 with it as well for a first time

so comparing a 4inch 9mm with a 6inch 22lr I am really chuffed at the possibilities of the Glock
lots to learn and tweek still . Was a very windy day and pistol not so much affected by wind as rifles and a lot less effort.

takes a bit getting used to to only load 5 rounds in a 16rd clip and shoot responsibly. :D

load was a 115gr Cast bullet in PMP cases , CCI primer and 4.7gr of MP200.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.