Freedom Arms 83 Silhouette 22lr

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Freedom Arms 83 Silhouette 22lr

Post by dustinflint »

We are sharing a lever gun match with the pistol silhouette shooters so I'm thinking of getting a pistol to shoot with them while I'm at the range. I'd like a Freedom Arms 83 Silhouette. I can buy one new but I'd like to find a used one. Anyone know where besides Gunbroker to look for one??

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Freedom Arms 83 Silhouette 22lr

Post by cedestech »

Steiger along to make comment is 3...2...1....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I will also take comments and suggestions on other pistols although I really like the freedom arms revolver and their single shot pistol. I am not going to shoot much of this so I really only want to get one pistol or at the most one smallbore pistol and one centerfire pistol. I would like to buy the freedom arms single shot with a 22 barrel and a centerfire barrel but they tell me they don't make a 22 barrel for that gun. That model 83 is really sweet! And i like revolvers, they look cool.

Dustin
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Dustin,
If I were just starting out, I would have to consider a TC Contender. Plenty of frames and barrels available on the various auction sites.
Greg
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks Greg, I like revolvers, though. I don't have much time to get into the pistols seriously so I'm just going to get the guns I like the most. I'd like to have one of those freedom arms revolvers!

Dustin
WolfTrap
Unclassified Poster

Post by WolfTrap »

Doubt very much finding 22 LR FA? They were built for killing those little silhouette critters back in the 80's and commanded $1000 back then? Now, if there's someone who has gone down pushing up Daisy's, it might be possible? Yet, who but us know the true value are going to sell at a fair price?
I have the 44 Field model in one of the safes collecting dust for the past 15 years. The 22 LR I believe was the Silhouette "Premium" offering only at the time. Good luck, WolfTrap
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

WolfTrap wrote:Doubt very much finding 22 LR FA? They were built for killing those little silhouette critters back in the 80's and commanded $1000 back then? Now, if there's someone who has gone down pushing up Daisy's, it might be possible? Yet, who but us know the true value are going to sell at a fair price?
I have the 44 Field model in one of the safes collecting dust for the past 15 years. The 22 LR I believe was the Silhouette "Premium" offering only at the time. Good luck, WolfTrap

I think you're right. I'm probably just going to have to buy a new one.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Found one!!!

Dustin
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Dustin
Jeanne and I are thinking about running Hunter pistol with our lever action matches next year. Any suggestions /advice ?
Just Be Nice **==
avidhunter1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by avidhunter1 »

I just ordered a model 97 22lr 5.5" barrel black micarta grips. I highly recommend finding a FA dealer that has them on order and give them a deposit, they can then go in and change there order to your specs. Saves waiting time. Never settle for less on a Freedom Arms purchase. Order what you want and wait a little. I am waiting two months which is a far less wait then most people because I did what I mentioned above. Cove Creek Outfitters here in PA is a very good FA dealer. Unless your shooting creedmore, I feel the 10" barrel is way over kill and can be a balance issue. Most people can hit rams at 100 yards with iron sights and short barrels all day, why would you want a 10" barrel to shoot free hand. Creedmore, maybe! Good luck with your purchase.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

glen ring wrote:Dustin
Jeanne and I are thinking about running Hunter pistol with our lever action matches next year. Any suggestions /advice ?
Glen,

Sorry I just noticed this - didn't see it when you originally posted it. I say go for it - they work well together. The IHMSA shooters at our range had a match going so we asked if we could host a cowboy match on the other side of the range with them and it has worked perfectly. We don't have too much overlap with the shooters as the handgun shooters shoot their matches and the rifle shooters shoot our matches but every once in a while there will be some crossover. Not sure what the Hunter Pistol rules are but in IHMSA, they have strict warmup rules (you only get 5 sighter shots or something like that) and they always start at chickens and go through to rams. We started by just jumping in at chickens with them but ended up splitting the range so we could do our thing and they could do theirs with everyone using the same commands.
avidhunter1 wrote:I just ordered a model 97 22lr 5.5" barrel black micarta grips. I highly recommend finding a FA dealer that has them on order and give them a deposit, they can then go in and change there order to your specs. Saves waiting time. Never settle for less on a Freedom Arms purchase. Order what you want and wait a little. I am waiting two months which is a far less wait then most people because I did what I mentioned above. Cove Creek Outfitters here in PA is a very good FA dealer. Unless your shooting creedmore, I feel the 10" barrel is way over kill and can be a balance issue. Most people can hit rams at 100 yards with iron sights and short barrels all day, why would you want a 10" barrel to shoot free hand. Creedmore, maybe! Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks for the tips. I found a FA 83 back in July and bought it. It's an incredible handgun but I haven't had much chance to shoot it. I entered a few matches at the IHMSA state championship match and got last or close to it in every match - it was fun though!

Dustin
avidhunter1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by avidhunter1 »

[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I found a FA 83 back in July and bought it. It's an incredible handgun but I haven't had much chance to shoot it. I entered a few matches at the IHMSA state championship match and got last or close to it in every match - it was fun though!

Dustin[/quote]
Dustin,

Your welcome. Sounds like you had a good time. Its not always about winning. Last place or near last is better than not placing at all. Your on the right road and your having fun. Congratulations on your Freedom Arms purchase. :)
Topstrap
Unclassified Poster

Post by Topstrap »

I just finished up some modifications to my FA 252 rimfire. Going to be using it for our long-range rimfire matches this summer against the rifle guys. Shoots amazingly well out thru 200 yards, haven't had a chance to stretch it to 300 yet. Hopefully as soon as the weather breaks to get down to Dales 300 yard range and see how it does.

It has 40moa machined in the base and a 16x SWFA mil-quad rifle scope on it. Likes WolfMT so far the best. There are two of us running long-range rimfire matches shooting various sized and shaped steel plate racks thru the summer here in Eastern Ohio from 25 yards to 200 yards and one from 50 yards to 300 yards. Always enjoy having others come join us.

Most of us are old time IHMSA silhouette shooters, always enjoyed the sight of steel moving and instant gratification upon hearing a hit. Our matches are mostly geared towards rifles shot off bags or bi-pods but I still enjoy using my silhouette handguns shooting against them. Shooting the 100 yard steel was fun but doubling or tripling that distance at smaller targets really increases the challenge.

Topstrap
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

I just talked to the owner of a LGS that told me he has 3 Model 97 with 7.5" barrels and express sights that will be arriving at his shop in the next couple weeks. I don't know what the $$$ is, but he usually pretty fair.
It is in KS, and if your interested call Rick at 785-827-4618.