Hunter Pistol alnogside Lever action

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Hunter Pistol alnogside Lever action

Post by glen ring »

We are going to approach the board next week to form our own division of Cowboy Lever Action and have been wondering about hunter pistol. We shoot with James Slusher in Arkansas and he allows the hunter pistol folks to shoot alongside without any problems. I think we can draw more shooters to our match this way from the Oklahoma City Metro Area. Do any of you allow this, are there any problems ?
Just Be Nice **==
deadeye dave
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Hunter Pistol alnogside Lever action

Post by deadeye dave »

Glen Ring,

Here in Tassie at the Oakdale Pistol Club which is predominately a pistol club which shoots a variety of pistol events, they have incorporated a Cowboy Lever Action Shoot alongside of Silhouette Pistol running at the same time and there is not a problem to be seen.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

We shoot our lever gun club matches along with both NRA hunter pistol and IHMSA handgun shooters. Works like a charm. Allows handgun shooters to try rifles and vice versa. It's good.

Dustin
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

We shoot an NRA match at one club, like that and an IMSHA match at another club like that, for the same reasons.
Poor Emmett Dibble plays both sides and needs a trailer to bring all his equipment. Just be careful not to trip over the prone shooters.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

I shot next to a guy shooting an XP-100 in creedmor position while i shot a lever gun.Not fun.I won't do it again.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

We shoot Cowboy Rifle alongside NRA Hunter Pistol at our Austin monthly match, as do most all the surrounding clubs that I know of (Arlington, Haltom City, Dallas, CTSA, etc). Works fine. Participation numbers for Hunter Pistol fluctuate from as few as 1-2 pistol shooters at a match to as many as a dozen... With most pistol participation occuring in the month(s) immediately preceding a state or national match. Cowboy Rifle shooters' participation is more consistant.

I've individually invited numerous IHMSA shooters to join us, but haven't had any takers to date. Stated reasons vary from "not enough classes" (no unlimited/creedmore/etc) to "N.R. who?".

My .02, FWIW,

- Tim. :ymcowboy:
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

It's actually very common and makes complete sense. Both use the same animals, same distances, same courses of fire. Better to have a match with 12 people then 2 matches of 6. Much more efficient use of range time. If it were a problem the practice wouldn't be so common.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

We do the PCCLA and hunters pistol at CAVRPC.ORG in VA and it works out fine. The pistols are a bit boisterous but if it bothers you just line up away from them. More folks shooting is almost always a good thing...almost always.
T
ole95
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ole95 »

Both ranges ive shot at in Birmingham
Shoot the cowboy rifles 1st then regun and shoot pistols
Mainly because 3or4 shooter and most shoot both
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I've only shot one match (In Arizona) where Hunters Pistol and Cowboy PC were shot together. We had no problems. There were, I think, 4 pistol shooters and a dozen lever gun shooters. One guy shot both.
The only thing I noticed was the lack of places to rack their handguns - Not a problem if everyone is using an Open Bolt Indicator.

I wish you well - and it if you succeed I hope folks in Columbia, Mo take notice - yes, we can shoot together without problems.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

I shoot a match in Maryland that also has cowboy pc along with hunter pistol and also smallbore 1/5 scale,most entries are shot at the big targets,it really test your focus and trigger discipline shooting 1/5 along side some of those pc,lots of fun and no real problems though