Considering BPCR

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
EQ Guy
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Considering BPCR

Post by EQ Guy »

Glen
I am one of the shooters Brent is referring to. I have shot a fast twist 32-40 at the Nationals a couple of times. I have rung a few rams there but most of the rams I have hit have fallen over. My main problem with the rams is hitting them in the first place. My best score on rams was shot with my 32-40 when I hit and knocked over 9 of 10 rams at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center a few years ago. It is difficult at best and I would not recommend it if you are serious about winning matches but it is a lot of fun to shoot. I have not done much BPCR shooting in the past 5 years because of health issues but I am slowly getting back into it. I am planning on shooting a BPCR match on the 1st which will be the second one this year. As Brent mentioned I do not have a track record with it as I really have not done very much shooting in the past few years and at this time the 32-40 is out of commission. If I was to recommend a light rifle to try shooting I would recommend the 38-50 which is made by blowing out 30-40 to 375.
EQ Guy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by EQ Guy »

Glen

There is another alternative out there. Some shooters are using 35-40 Manyard to successfully shoot BPCR. There are two varieties out there. One uses 38-55 Winchester brass as currently manufactured by Winchester. The other one uses Starline brass made 2.125" long. Mike Lewis the Colorado gunsmith has the reamer for the 2.125" cases and Steve Baldwin of Oklahoma has a reamer using the 2.080" brass. I am seriously thinking about having a barrel for my Stevens 44 1/2 made by one of these two gunsmiths. CH4D makes die sets in 35-40 Lewis and 35-40DT. I would recommend that you make a pair of cross sticks tall enough to use from sitting position and try shooting the 40-65 again and see if that makes the recoil more tolerable. If that does not work then by all means join the gnat maulers/mosquito shooters society and save on lead and powder.
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

Glen
Dave Macarthy and his wife Ashlea shoot 38-55 Highwalls with good results. Ash won High Woman last year at the NRA nationals at Raton.
I agree with Brent, in a 12lb rifle, recoil ain't as bad as you would believe it to be. I have a brain injury that has made it near impossible to
shoot my 7-08 in High Power silhouette but I am still able to shoot my 40-70 Sharps in BPCR and enjoy it.
Taps
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Eqguy: What barrel twist rate is recommended for the 38-50? Years ago I had a 38-55 Ballard rechambered to 38-50 Remington, but have never fired it. Also, what weight bullet do you use and who makes one? Thanks.

Jim Luke
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Jim,
I don't know what Eq uses, but Rick Moritz is using his .38-50 with a 12 twist. I believe his bullets are in the 360 gr range. He has 2 national championships to his credit with it, and he has been in the hunt for a couple more.

Brent
Last edited by BrentD on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Okay...I'm on the look out now for a 38-55. I shot one in CLA and it was a mild kicker. The 40-65 I shot at chickens was just too much. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm back in the hunt !
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Excellent :) :)

order up a case of 3fg Swiss and then start hunting for a rifle and bullet. BTW, if you feel the need, I believe a .38-55 chamber can be completely cleaned by a .38-50 reamer if you want to go slightly larger. The next .38 caliber rifle I build will be a .38-50.
EQ Guy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by EQ Guy »

Jim
I have two 38-50's. One has a 12" twist Lilja and the other has a 10" twist Pacnor barrel. I have moulds cut by Steve Brooks, NEI, Buffalo Arms, and Paul Jones. Paul has retired but Steve and Buffalo sell very good moulds. They cast bullets that weigh from 330 to 385 grains. Like I mentioned I have not been shooting very much lately. I was planning on shooting a BPCR match this Saturday but my knee has gone out and I may not be able to make the drive.

Marion Salsman
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

glen ring wrote:Okay...I'm on the look out now for a 38-55. I shot one in CLA and it was a mild kicker. The 40-65 I shot at chickens was just too much. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm back in the hunt !
Should be pretty easy to find, but not so easy to find with a fast-enough twist to shoot the more effective heavier bullets. Go ahead and get that 40-65 and have it rebarreled with the fast twist you will need. The 40-65 barrel will be worth $2-300, depending who made it. Or, load the 40-65 down for chickens. I shoot a 370gr Saeco 640 bullet with 54gr of 2F Swiss at chickens and it is a pussy cat. Bigger bullets and more powder for the stick-animals. Its a great game, as is BPTR mid-range.

Other options include seting the barrel back a 1/2" and having it chambered in something like 40-50 or 40-60. My spotter's son still holds at least two (2) national records shooting a 40-50. In all the shooting he has done with it he has rung a total of one (1) ram. If he weighs125# soaking wet I would be surprised.