38-55 blackpowder?

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
21step
B Poster
B Poster

38-55 blackpowder?

Post by 21step »

I want to use 38-55 black powder out of a Winchester model 94 for regular CLA. what powder do I start with? the bullet is a 255 drain lee mold. I have never loaded for black powder so I am a beginner there. I have used trail boss with good results. 27/40
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 38-55 blackpowder?

Post by BrentD »

A 94 Winchester would not be my first choice for BP loads because it is a bit more difficult to clean from the rear. I prefer my Marlin 93 for just that reason.

for my 93, I use 46 grs of Swiss 1.5 because that is what I have on hand for other, more serious target rifles. Were I buying powder for just the 38-55, I might go with 2 or 3f Swiss instead, but 1.5 works fairly dependably. My bullet is the Lyman flatnose that is nominally 250 grs. I cast them 25:1 usually but don't think the alloy matters much for this use.

Loading with black is similar to loading with white, but you want to use a drop tube - 20-30: long to load the case and get the powder to settle. Generally, one loads the case to full capacity given bullet seating depth, PLUS a little bit more. Hence, compression is inevitable, and desirable. You do REQUIRE a compression die for this. Most beginners have to try compressing while they seat the bullet, but for compression over the most minimal amounts, that will deform bullets and kill accuracy.

You need a wad. 0.03" of fiber wad from John Walters or buffaloarms.com will work.

You need a BP-specific lube on your bullet.

Wiping, if not every shot, at least from time to time, such as between banks of animals, can be done easily with a home-built bore snake. I use 3.5 ft of "weed-eater" line. I tie a knot on one end, and then thread a foam earplug on the line. When I need to wipe, I spear a 2" round cotton patch with the end of the line (it can be sharpened), and then pull the patch down over the earplug which I roll to compress and thread this through the breach to pull out the muzzle. If the patches are damp, 1 or 2 will keep the bore reasonably clean for 5-10 shots before repeating.

Good luck.
21step
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 38-55 blackpowder?

Post by 21step »

Wow, more involved than I thought. I think I will stick with the trailboss. Thanks for the input.