.22 bpcr

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: .22 bpcr

Post by glen ring »

Thanks guys. I won't have the time to shoot the 22 bpcr match this year. Maybe next. This sport may become my main shooting hobby if the CLA Nationals are moved back east.
Just Be Nice **==
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

One thing about it tho, even if you never shoot the 22 nationals, you are in the hot bed of the 22bpcr matches, so a 22 rifle surely wouldn't sit in the corner and rot. :)
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

DonM wrote:One thing about it tho, even if you never shoot the 22 nationals, you are in the hot bed of the 22bpcr matches, so a 22 rifle surely wouldn't sit in the corner and rot. :)

So true. But no matter where you live, the .22 is the rifle one would use most if only one had a nice one (that's not a very pretty piece of writing, is it?).

Anyway, when I set off to build my first (and allegedly "only") custom rifle, I built a .22. I was going to make it an "important" centerfire cartridge rifle, but a friend convinced me that I would enjoy and use a .22 singleshot more than any other firearm, and sure enough, he was spot on. You can't spend too much on a .22 rifle. You will always get your dimes back in enjoyment (and resale, if you must).
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Very true Brent. I cringed badly when I bought that Miroku used for 550.. Who the heck ever heard of paying that much for a 22,,, well turns out of the 4 we have now, it's the least expensive.:)
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Brent Don

I bought an Japanese 1885 Winchester today. Half round, half octagon. It already has a marbles tang sight and a Lyman 17 front. Just before dark I cleaned it and shot several dime sized groups at 50 meters with SK standard velocity. That's probably as accurate as I can be with iron sights. I'm sure it will do better with better ammo and in good light. Thanks for the tip on those Japanese built guns.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

They are generally good rifles and a good place to start. A few bucks invested in a trigger job (specialized on that model of rifle - do some research with your gunsmiths) will return your investment very quickly.

You will need a MUCH better sight. Don't mess around there. Either scope it (scope legality is technical), or get a GOOD Soule sight. I recommend MVA Schuetzen soule sights. The Lyman 17A is fine. You can get lots of inserts for it. Have several, esp. large ones for times with the light fails you.

You need cross sticks!

I have to warn ya, you just might forget about those lever guns. The .22 singleshots are totally addicting. It is a great game and the rifles can be the finest every made.

I lean towards Eley TenX ammo. It helps a bunch with those rams and turkeys. The other stuff can be find for pigs and chickens, but not the long distance targets. At least that's my recommendation. Invest in good ammo for the longer ranges.

Have a ton of fun. This game is really amazingly fun.

Brent
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

They are generally good rifles and a good place to start. A few bucks invested in a trigger job (specialized on that model of rifle - do some research with your gunsmiths) will return your investment very quickly.

You will need a MUCH better sight. Don't mess around there. Either scope it (scope legality is technical), or get a GOOD Soule sight. I recommend MVA Schuetzen soule sights. The Lyman 17A is fine. You can get lots of inserts for it. Have several, esp. large ones for times with the light fails you.

You need cross sticks!

I have to warn ya, you just might forget about those lever guns. The .22 singleshots are totally addicting. It is a great game and the rifles can be the finest every made.

I lean towards Eley TenX ammo. It helps a bunch with those rams and turkeys. The other stuff can be find for pigs and chickens, but not the long distance targets. At least that's my recommendation. Invest in good ammo for the longer ranges.

Have a ton of fun. This game is really amazingly fun.

Brent
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Brent
The trigger is awesome. I'd guess about a pound. My other 22 rifles love sk rifle match so in the next few days I'll try that at the longer ranges. Thanks for recommending this rifle.
Just Be Nice **==
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Glen my Miroku really likes the SK rifle match and Aquila rifle match.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

SK is okay as far as it goes, but this is not a levergun game. The targets are half as large and twice as far. Don't cheat yourself with mediocre ammo.

Sounds like someone has done a trigger job for you. Good deal.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Glenn you'll want to do your ammo testing at 200 meters, it's after the pig line that the guns preference in ammo starts to get very apparent.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thank you sir for the info. I'll get to the range in the next couple of weeks , on a calm day, and we'll shoot at 200 meters.
Just Be Nice **==
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Looking forward to seeing how that gun runs for you. See you at Raton.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Don Brent

We finally had some nice weather today and were able to shoot the 1885 at 100 meters.
We only have 1/5 scale targets so we shot 1/5 scale pigs at 100 meters.
Jeanne hit every pig, every shot with SK rifle match.

I think the rifle is accurate enough for us and after shooting 10 rounds and hitting 10 pigs Jeanne said " Hey, this looks like fun!"
I KNOW what's coming. She's going to take this rifle and I'll be looking for one of my own.

I'll see you guys in Raton.
Just Be Nice **==
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Those rifles are pretty dang nice.
Think they have 8 single rifle openings left for the 22 nationals.
Also I think the Tornado Alley 22 bpcr match held in your back yard is coming soon.
See you at the Whittington.