.22 BPCR rifles? Rules?

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

.22 BPCR rifles? Rules?

Post by cedestech »

I cursory searched some forums and can't find any "rules" for rifles?

I believe breech fed single shot, exposed hammer, lever operated action is correct?

Is a Contender rifle acceptable with the correct sights installed?

If not which rifles production (reproduction) rifles are used?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: .22 BPCR rifles? Rules?

Post by BrentD »

Definitely not a contender. The .22 bpcr rules follow NRA BPCR rules, but that leaves a few issues unresolved like this Ithaca. There is a time period requirement. I'll see if I can get something cut and pasted.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

This is the rule for BPCR. .22bpcr will follow this, but there will be some issues in that it won't translate perfectly.

Cartridge Rifle - A hunting or military style rifle, single shot, originally made for black powder cartridges, of United States manufacture prior to 1896 and being typical of the era. Replicas thereof, regardless of origin of manufacture, are permitted. Hammer must be exposed. If replacement barrels, stocks, or other parts are used, they must be as original. No Schuetzen-style rifles permitted. One rifle will be used during all phases of the match. Examples of permissible rifles are: Ballard, Buck, Bullard, Cole, Farrow, Maynard, Peabody, Redfield, Remington Hepburn, Remington Rolling Block, Sharps, Springfield Trapdoor, Stevens Tip-up, Stevens No. 44, Wesson Falling Block, Wesson (hinged barrel), Whitney Phoenix, Whitney Rolling Block, Winchester 1885, and Wurfflein. While the following single shot actions may not conform to the exact criteria of Rule 3.4, they are allowed because they conform to the spirit of the competition in forth and function, provided the firearms conform to all other configurations of Rule 3.4: Browning Model 1878, Browning Model 1885, C. Sharps '75, Falling Block Works, Stevens 44 1/2 and Wickliff '76. Replicas other than exact reproductions of pre-1896 Black Powder actions as described above and shooting equipment as described herein, must be passed by the Silhouette Committee with the advice of the Black Powder Committee. It shall be the competitor's responsibility to provide any documentation which may be required to establish that all Black Powder Cartridge Rifle equipment conforms to these rules.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Thanks! Now I get it.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

BrentD wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:51 pm Definitely not a contender. The .22 bpcr rules follow NRA BPCR rules, but that leaves a few issues unresolved like this Ithaca. There is a time period requirement. I'll see if I can get something cut and pasted.
What is the time periods used? 30sec Ready with 2 mins for 5 shots (like Cowboy)? I can't imagine needing 5mins for 5 shots (like BPCR) with a 22LR, even with a single shot.

- Tim
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

"Cartridge Rifle - A hunting or military style rifle, single shot, originally made for black powder cartridges, of United States manufacture prior to 1896 and being typical of the era."

The tI'm interval is MUCH shorter, but I never Remember what it is.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

It's not a much used forum, but it might be worth looking here http://www.22bpcra.com/forum/?view=thread&id=107
There seems to be a bit of uncertainty/variation, even within the 22BPCR Assn. On the one hand they align themselves to the NRA BPCR Assn Rules, but then speak of variable length strings, whether that be 40/60 or even 80 shots: time determined by the prevailing match director.
I believe there should be a lot more certainty so that everybody, no matter where they shoot, knows and uses the same rule.

49er
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I believe you should go to a match and enjoy yourself. It will all be crystal clear then.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Timing is usually 8 minutes with a 15 ready to shoot unlimited sighter and your 10 shots for record. Most matches are of the 40 shot variety /i have heard of some 60 shot matches.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

What are some of the more "inexpensive" actions to build on/shoot? What about the modern reproduction guns? Are they legal?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Inexpensive is hard to come by in singleshot's that can shoot minute of ram and ttry at 200 and 150 meyers, respectively. A Stevens or a Pedersoli repro if a low wall of a Remington roller are two that come to mind. The Winchester/Browning remakes of the low wall are two more (though recently out of ptoduction.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We use a Japanese made Winchester 1885. We have a lyman 17a front sight but invested in a Baldwin rear sight. This gun is more accurate than we are out to 200 meters and they generally sell for around 1000 dollars . We will know IF we want another gun after we shoot Kevin Griggs regional next month. So far this may become my favorite sport.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

BPCR is interesting. Can old eyes use a scope? I've seen scopes on BP rifles, but they don't seem to be the standard type. Can any of you enlighten me on the scopes used?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Michael, scopes are allowed, but they must be external adjustment scopes, they must have an objective lens of 1" or less, 3/4" tubes and NO click adjustments.

Popular scopes include all of the MVA line of scopes (montanavintagearms.com), Dan Zimmerman's modification/remake of a Unertl, Unertl small game scopes (declicked), Fecker small game scopes and a few other variants (also declicked) and Lyman Targetspot Juniors (not STS), declicked.

There are other scopes too, but these are the most common.

Oh yes, any power, any retical.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

I may also mention that declicking the Lyman and Unertl scopes is not a hard process. The Lyman Targetspot is a scope I still question on weather is legal or not. Measurements are very close to the 1" ID of the objective lens.

For clarification their are 3 type of Lyman Targetspot scopes (that I have seen).

1. Junior Targetspot = is legal for 22 BPCR (expressly named as legal)
2. Targetspot = This one appears somewhat questionable.
3. Super Targetspot = is not legal it has a 2" objective lens.

Just my 2 two cents.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!