Scope power for Bpcr

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Scope power for Bpcr

Post by gard72977 »

I have been reading a lot about BPCR sillhouette. I have some use Unertl, DZ, and MVA. Why are so many people using 5x or 6x MVA. I use 25x for smallbore.

I know the scope needs to be period correct but the 8x from DZ or higher power Unertl seems better to me.

I havent even bought mt Bprc rifle yet so im sure im missing the issue here
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scope power for Bpcr

Post by BrentD »

Maybe it is. But I doubt it. What scopes provide isn't magnification for meaningfully greater precision, it's simply seeing the target and doing it w/o eye fatigue. Iron sights will allow a 1/4 MOA aiming precision. That 1/4 MOA is not a limiting factor in this game. In bulleye benchrest shooting, that can be a factor. BPCR not so much. I put 25x scopes on my BPCRs occasionally - but only for load development when I'm too lazy to set up a spotting scope.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

Im looking at having a gun built. Im considering doing one as a scope only. No dove tail or drilled tang. Maybe even a little shorter bbl.

I love single shots and have a few. Adding a couple to my collection that will work for sillhouette would not be much different than what i would just buy to shoot anyway.

Im wanting to stay within the rules and build a competitive rifle that I will enjoy shoiting. Maybe one scoped and one with sights.

I often out shoot my Annie (25x Leupold) with a 1946 Rem 513T iron target sights in the off hand position.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

I re read your post again. Im not sure I agree. I have shot a lot of airgun sillhouette for practice.

I had a wonderful hw77 10.5 fpe with a 3-9 leupold. Gun was really accurate but harder to aim with than my other airguns with higher power scopes. My AA 200tx with 6-24 Bushnell 4200 was no more accurate but much easier to hit with. I usually shoot 20x given the choice. Im still learning to handle 25x.

My bad experience with 9x does not make me want to buy an 8x.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Maybe the air rifle fits poorly?

In BPCR scope scores are very slightly better on average than iron sight scores. Often they are worse, but on average, I think slightly higher, but less than one animal I suspect. It would be interesting to do a formal test of the data.

Higher power scopes on BPCRs may also be problematic in that these guns are darn hard to hold off hand anyway.

In any event, the rules require 3/4" tubes and 1" objectives. If you get higher powers - the ability to see, the true advantage of the scope, will diminish when the light gets tricky.

There are no rules on max power, so knock yourself out and go for whatever you feel works best for you given the dimensions and external, nonclick, adjustment requirements. If you shoot better with more, then that's what you need.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

You make some very good points. I have not thought about the light.

In my head a 28" bbl sounded like a good idea. If the scope doesnt work out the barrel will have a poor sight radius
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

28" will be fine. Choose balance over sight radius. My Best Gun is 33". It is a beast to hold offhand.