Common actions for 22BPCR?

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Common actions for 22BPCR?

Post by cedestech »

I didn't see a equipment survey on the national results for 22BPCR....

What is the more common actions? Pluses and minuses with each?

I am looking at modified:

Stevens 44, 414, 417?

Remington #4, #6?

Uberti copy of rolling block or low wall?

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just wanting to look at limitations anything in particular has.
I'm leaning towards the Uberti's because they are new as opposed to questionable quality/maintenance
history.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Common actions for 22BPCR?

Post by BrentD »

low walls, ballards, and Stevens 44.5 are probably the 3 most common. Hepburns are also up there due to the phylogeographic constraints of .22 bpcr.

Small rollers are around, but I would not rate them as common.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Pretty much what Brent said, mostly one version or another of the 1885 winchester and the various 44xx stevens dominate.
C Sharps has a prototype rifle a Hopkins and Allen copy out being tested now, and are evaluating the viability of putting it into production ..
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Is there any advantage between a 1885 lowwall reproduction or rolling block reproduction? Uberti (I own 2 so I know they can be a crap shoot) or Winchester Miroku?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

An original Winchester would be my choice (IS my choice) with a new barrel. Miroku Chesters can be iffy with regards to barrels and triggers. And they don't really seem to have the right weight distribution for me, but they are often used and many seem to shoot well. I have avoided Uberti's and know little about them. They are not common at all.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I don't believe any of the reproductions would hold any particular advantage over an original refitted with a good barrel, properly fitted and chambered. Finding the ammunition that a rifle will shoot well at 200 meters in windy conditions is the main thing to work on.
The Miroku lowalls certainly benefit from a good trigger job, and if that crescent butt plate fits you work fine. I have seen a couple that have had the wood replaced and a trigger job done. Their recent "hunter" models wear barrels that are a bit slim for good shooting off the sticks .
I've seen 2 or 3 of the Uberti's 1 shoots pretty good as is, the other would take a good bit of work including a new barrel, chamber and trigger work to be anything more than a plinker, and the other had possibilities, but not enough to make it worth the added expense it might take to get it to shooting well.
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

The CPA Stevens are popular, maybe due to the fact that you can convert them between rimfire and centrefire in about 5 minutes. Great triggers, good barrels, they shoot very well and the back-up provided by Paul and Gail is terrific. If I were looking to start out in this game, that's where I'd be investing my $.
Taps