What do you do while you wait?

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

What do you do while you wait?

Post by Jason »

Having only seen one BPCR match (500yd at paper) ever, I was wondering what you typically do after the shot is fired and are waiting for it to hit the target. Compared to HP silhouette, it seemed like you could go get coffee while waiting. I really do wonder how long the follow through typically is in a BPCR silhouette match, though. In all my matches, I follow through until the bullet hits the target and it falls. That seems like it would be overdoing it for BPCR silhouette, though. Do you typically follow through for one second and then lean over to watch through the scope?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: What do you do while you wait?

Post by Bob259 »

Jason wrote:Having only seen one BPCR match (500yd at paper) ever, I was wondering what you typically do after the shot is fired and are waiting for it to hit the target. Compared to HP silhouette, it seemed like you could go get coffee while waiting. I really do wonder how long the follow through typically is in a BPCR silhouette match, though. In all my matches, I follow through until the bullet hits the target and it falls. That seems like it would be overdoing it for BPCR silhouette, though. Do you typically follow through for one second and then lean over to watch through the scope?
Maybe that's why they all have 'Blow Tubes' =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Watched them shoot BP silhouette at Tulsa Red Castle one afternoon. Some guys practicing. Watching Rams through my spotting scope it looked like a softball coming in when the bullet impacted the rams...and it looked like those big slugs carried a lot of ooomph out to the rams.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I thought you wanted to know what to do while you wait for all the smoke to clear so you can see what you are aiming at :lol: Definitely want to be on the upwind side of the firing line I would imagine. I've only shot one whitetail with my BP rifle while in a ground blind. The evening air here is S. La. can be very still at times as it was that evening. Had it not been for seeing the deer fall where it stood under the cloud of smoke I wouldn't have had any idea which way it went had it run at all. That cloud hovered outside that little tent window for at least a minute totally blinding me except for what I could see under it as it slowly rose.

The wait for the lock time to ignition is what gets me the most. After shooting such nice fast rigs going back to the BP even the inlines is like slow motion when you pull the trigger. Would be fun to shoot a match of Sils and play around with it though. The wait to hit a ram with a new HP is fun, the BP would almost be agony :shock:

Oh well no one shoots it in these parts. Probably for the best as I am well into 7 Classes of Sil rifles already and kick cowbow around now and then with loaners.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Dee's post reminds us why (and no disrespect intended to the BP guys, any excuse to shoot is a good one) they developed smokeless powders and modern ignition systems.....

Where are all the BP guys, anyway? So far only us Frankenhunter type guys are posting here.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Mach 2 wrote:They are well established here.http://www.bpcr.net/forum/
Yes, but several have asked for a section here, where those boys from Down Under!!!!! Got you a section so lets hear about them smoke belchin rifles ;)

oldrifleman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by oldrifleman »

Smokeless was invented or those who prefer speed over quality. We may shoot slow but when we hit something it goes down! Besides nothing smells so wonderful as burning black powder in the morning! Steven
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

FWIW I've only just realised this forum was here.

We had a black powder silhouette shoot approximately a month ago at Monarto range in South Australia. There was a pretty good attendance and it was an excellent shoot. It is a nice slow paced shoot and it is certainly good fun. I'd like to do more of it.

Boom....................................................................................................... :-?? ...................... :!! ..................CLANG! \:D/ :-bd

To be honest I can't imagine many silhouette shooters who wouldn't enjoy it. It is different enough to offer a nice change of pace from a standard silhouette shoot and the opportunity to shoot off sticks is just a nice change. The 200m offhand chickens are a tricky target but there is nothing better than hitting those chickens with 500gr of lead. Equally fun on the rams.
Boom........clang!
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

smokeless powder and scopes are just passing phases. Sooner rather than later the mass's will relise that black powder and iron sights and lead bullets are better than smokeless, glass optics and copper jacketed crap!!
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Jason, They masticate.
Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Isn't it a little concerning with all these burly guys using 'Blow Tubes' in between shots :shock: x_x =)) =))

Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Bob259 wrote:Isn't it a little concerning with all these burly guys using 'Blow Tubes' in between shots :shock: x_x =)) =))
Holy Crap! Are you supposed to blow?? :shock: :-??
Boom........clang!
oldrifleman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by oldrifleman »

You will only inhale once! All that smoke sucked into your lungs will make you think you were at a Stones concert in the 70s :D . Steven
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Nah, I'm sure all the guys I were shooting with were sucking. :ymsick: =))

Maybe they just weren't inhaling :))

In fact there was a very suspicious blow tube on the line, unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the said device :wink:
Boom........clang!
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

G'day from the Game Ranch,
I think that is a fair comment from Shandy that the fella's he was shooting with sucked, after all he was with the Chairman and other brothers from the Island.
Taps